Cerro Alto Trail

Cerro Alto Trail is a 4.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Goleta, CA that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Water and restrooms on site. Max 2 vehicles per campsite.

What a great hike and trail it well maintained yet has a lot of strenuous sections

It's a beautiful hike. There are ferns at the beginning and also poison ivy. Beautiful scenery all the way up to the summit. My favorite so far. We did the trail at the back end of the campgrounds up to the summit and came back the same way. 5.6 miles I think.

moderate hike well groomed trail beautiful views

The ascent up to the peak was probably the most challenging hike I've ever taken part of, although I was pushing an 80-pound downhill race bike. Trails were pretty narrow and steep until you get about 3/4 of the way up the mountain. After that it levels off in some spots so you can catch your breathe before making your way to the highest peak or downhill on the other side like I did. The upper elevation changes to desert, which was really neat and I even saw a desert patterned lizard with a spiked crest around its head. No other location matches the panoramic view you get to see when you get up high enough. I could see from Ragged Point to Guadalupe and it's the only peak where you can see all the 7 Sisters Rocks. The descent was pretty hectic, but oh so exhilarating. I had to change my brake pads after the trip. Lol. All in all an amazing experience and I look forward to a return trip soon. Highly recommended.

Pretty Hard trail. 80% of the trail is going straight up, if you don't like steep trails this ones not for you. Well worth it though with the view 2,600 feet up.

The views were beautiful. The trail had a very rugged almost high desert feel to it. I happen to go on a very hot day (102 deg.) and there was very limited shade on this hike especially on the way down. Also there was a day use fee of $10, which I did not anticipate, since it is a National Forrest (luckily I had some cash).

It was an awesome hike! There were a lot of bugs out there. The beginning of the hike was next to a stream. It was a really pretty area and the views are stunning. Definitely worth it!

Great trail, definitely a good workout!

Not sure why this trail is labeled as easy - it was pretty intense with the endless uphill hike to the summit to the treacherous steep downhill. Perhaps I'm more out of shape than others as it didn't seem too difficult for my friend who jogs, he and my border collies found this trail easy.

There are two trailheads, one at the far back parking area near the bath rooms and one on the right as you drive in, about 800ft from one another. The one with the bridge over the creek is 1mile to a meeting point. The other is 1.7 miles to the same spot. From there it's about 2miles to the peak and it really is quite steep. So much so that walking down a few people slipped. Views are great and would give it 5 stars but I wouldn't classify this as "easy"

great and challenging. amazing views of the entire county. paso to north, Morro rock to the west, SLO to south, Cuesta pass to east

It is a moderate rated trail... Not easy. Beautiful views and rewarding.

Would rate this as moderate not easy. It is dog friendly and my pup loved it! The views are beautiful, I'll definitely be going back. Be careful of poison oak though, it's everywhere!

I would rate this trail as " moderate ", not "easy".

Splendid. I went in early spring, stayed at the campground. Absolutely stunning hiking and view.

Good