Caswell Short Loop Trail

Caswell Short Loop Trail is a 1.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Ripon, CA that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

Family-friendly short shaded trail for serenity and a peek or two of the river at Caswell Memorial State Park. The River Bend trail offers a flat windy walk in this riparian habitat. There are a few overlook points that allow visitors to take a peek over the river bends, and part of the trail is ADA accessible. There are a few benches at the junction area with the Gray Fox Trail marking the end of 0.25-mile ADA accessibility, and one has the option to take the extra loop around the 0.4-mile Crow's Loop Trail.

Thanks to the drought anywhere you go around here is dry and less beautiful than It's full potential right now. But if you're anything like me, sometimes it's less about the hike, or the view at the end. Sometimes you just need to get out, away from people, and the hustle and bustle of life. This park is only 15 minutes from my house, and is perfect for those days that I just need a break. I don't know that there is such a thing as a "beautiful view" in ripon, so for what is it, I like it! Very easy! (Both of the trails at that park get the same review, because to me, they are the Same.)

We were a family with 5 kids with us, they all really liked it and it was a great easy trail. When we were there the road was closed going to the trail head so it took us a while to find the trail. We also didn't make the whole loop as a tree had fallen and blocked the path, easy enough to climb over it but I had a baby in a carrier. Beautiful scenery, very quiet, it was just what we needed. Area wasn't super well maintained, I'm assuming because it was the winter.

For a nice quick local place to walk/hike this worked well. You can finish the whole park within 2 hours. I enjoyed the scenery and the trails. It does cost $10 since it's a state park, but I was ok with it. I would Definately recommend if looking for something quick and local.

I got hit in the head with an acorn here and literally saw stars lol. We also saw a fox, which was the highlight of the day. The trails were kinda hard to find and over grown. There's not much to see here, but a nice sandy shore. Wouldn't pay $10 though...

I went with my family including my 3 children. It was our first time there. We found the river with no problem. It was very beautiful there. There was sand all through out the river. The water was shallow and we were able to walk across the river. We spent most of the day there. Our kids loved it there. The scenery is so beautiful. It's like a painted picture. Some of the trails are overgrown. We did not attempt to walk through those trails because of the mosquitoes, ticks, and what ever else lurked in there. If you are going to Caswell, I would mainly go to spend time at the river. There is a picnic area and from the picnic area, we did find a nice trail that led us to the river. During mosquito season, I would recommend wearing some kind of bug repellent.

My boyfriend and I were searching for somewhere to hike around Tracy that wasn't too difficult and we stumbled upon Caswell Memorial State Park. I had high hopes, yet they weren't met. It all started with the entry of the park. It costs $10 to enter the park. There is not even a ranger in the deserted station. You are supposed to leave the cash in an envelope. By the way, there were no instructions on how to pay for a day pass or where to leave it. It took us a bit of searching around to find it. We didn't want to risk getting a ticket for not paying. Once in the park we headed towards the trailhead. I noticed a no dogs sign just as I noticed someone walking with two dogs :(. We chose the trail to the left. It was very well maintained an don't had a lot of wildlife. Not too many bugs, just a lot of ants on the trail. The trail was quite short so once we looped back around we took the fence line trail. It started out somewhat groomed and then grew quite wild with brush overgrown and tons of gnats. We followed the Riverbend trail once it hit a Y. We never found the river :(. Eventually it looped back to the fence line trail. Once we got home I also noticed a tick on me. It must have come from all the overgrown brush on the trail. I will not be coming back here, especially for the price.

Pretty area - mostly wild but right next to an almond orchard. Didn't see a lot of birds, probably due to the time of day, but we did get a glimpse of a Swainson's Hawk and a couple of turkey vultures. Lots of bugs around, though; mostly harmless ones like beetles and gnats, but there were wasps around the entry gate and the dumpster in the parking lot.

For a last minute hiking this is a good place to see lots of birds. You can finish this park in less then 2 hours.

Beautiful trail. I do not suggest taking any dogs (went during June). Unless you want to be picking ticks off you and the dog all night and day.