California Riding and Hiking Trail: Covington Flat to Keys View, Quail Mountain

California Riding and Hiking Trail: Covington Flat to Keys View, Quail Mountain is a 15 mile point-to-point trail located near Joshua Tree, CA and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from October until May.

15.0 miles 1060 feet Point to Point

Great trail with great views. I did the part from keys view road to black rock campground and back. It was nice because I could just resupply my water at black rock campground. But always check to make sure the water is available there before you go. it usually is...

Just completed trail 1/2/2014, started at juniper flats and hiked toward Covington flats. I turned off trail at mile marker 24 and approached quail mountain from south west. Had to summit smaller mountain first but by doing this I was able to approach up the west side of quail mountain where there is plane wreckage from at least 2 different planes. Very interesting to see. At the top of quail mountain there is 2 registers, one white can and one red so be sure to find them both. After returning to the the California hiking trail I night hiked out to Covington flats. Definitely should have spent the night, was to much for one day.

I created my own back country route to Quail Mountain from Hidden Valley Picnic Area. Essentially I traveled SW and then turned west. Since there is no trail cactus was a problem so wear tall socks. Once at the peak, look for a red coffee can and sign your name. Bring lots of water. This route is about 10 miles round trip. Fun hike but not much to look at.

My buddy and I did this trail from Black Canyon Campground in Yucca Valley to the Twentynine Palms entrance Thanksgiving weekend. We planned on doing it in two days but decided to do it all in one day (25 miles). The trail was well marked with mile markers every mile, but the scenery is rather bland in most spots.