Calabasas Peak Trail

Calabasas Peak Trail is a 3.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Calabasas, CA that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

This pleasant hike gives you a good aerobic workout, with a moderate but steady uphill trek for a little less than 2 miles to the summit of Calabasas Peak. The views along the way are wonderful. This pleasant hike gives you a good aerobic workout, with a moderate but steady uphill trek for a little less than 2 miles to the summit of Calabasas Peak. The views along the way are wonderful. As the hike starts, off to the left are grand vistas of the Santa Monica mountains across a lovely small valley. Over the crest, Red Rock Canyon comes into view on the right. As you ascend to the peak, along the right are spectacular tilted and pocketed sandstone formations set against the beautiful green mountains. Along the way, there are a number of interesting rock formations that you can scramble out on (carefully) for some great views. A very enjoyable hike.

I've never been there

Did it with my dog. Strenuous but great views. No shade so go on cooler day.

Beautiful vistas for much of the hike. I would rate this trail as on the strenuous end of moderate. There are some very steep sections and the last bit is very steep. Take your time, drink some water and just enjoy the scenery.

Nice short steep and sweet hike. All service road until the very end, but a nice little jog if you are into that sort of thing. Did it early and it was nice and cool.

My dog and I went on this hike just before sunrise and the fog was amazing. It filled the canyon, which made for some pretty awesome sights. The hike itself was not hard in the least bit, but good views for the entirety of it. Also, it wasn't loud at all, and I only saw one other person on the trail.. All I heard was the chirping of birds; granted, I was there pretty early. Anyway, I would recommend it, especially for a sunrise hike!

Enough has been said about the Grade, its not that bad, its all fire road and too many houses around. Geologically its a fascinating trail and that fact makes it worth it.
At the top for a snack all you hear is the 101 freeway constant roar, sirens, dogs barking and really kills any affect of escape.... not my cup of tea, but worth doing once. I put on a 25 pound pack and went down to Redrock canyon then back, then to the top, my Legs are sore so it was good.

As hikers have stated, the uphill climb can be strenuous but the views from the summit are totally worth it. The wild flowers are blooming which adds to the beauty of the hike.

Decent out and back trail, with several approaches to the summit, I started on Stunt Road. Happy I did this in January, as with many LA trails, not much shade. The final 2/3mile was a bit steep but short enough it isn't too tiring. Good views from the peak, however the actual drive up had some more spectacular ocean overlooks. Very few people on the trail which was great, and some fun rock formations to looks around off the side of the trail.

Good aerobic workout with a moderate but steady uphill is an understatement. The grade for the last mile to the summit averages 16%. That's steep. For short distances the grade is 20% or more. If you're in excellent condition the adjectives good and moderate may apply but I'd substitute strenuous and significant. The views, as stated, are wonderful...maybe even spectacular. I did the hike when the distant mountains were capped with snow. Go on a cool day, take it slow, enjoy the views, and most people in good condition can make the summit. Remember, it's not a race.

Great trail! My girlfriend and I start from Old Topanga when we hike here. It's pretty strenuous at times, but it's worth it when you get to Calabasas Peak. Look out for people riding horses, the trail is used by a trail riding facility.

This hike is really beautiful. Once you get to the top, the 360 degree views are amazing and there is an old military box full of letters and trinkets people leave when they reach the top. It's a great place to get away and enjoy solitude. I only saw one person during my hike. There are lots of little areas to explore as well. Really fun hike.

Very enjoyable moderate trail. Few people and the views are worthy of harder trails. Once you get up to the fireroad you have many options.. take some time and explore.

Went today, it is just as described up, up, up then down, down, down. Very pretty and we'll maintained, also everyone we encountered was very friendly which was nice.

AMAZING VIEWS!!!!!! Such a simple hike, but I wouldn't even call it a hike. One mile in, one mile out. The views and cool rock formations are awesome.

Great trail, but its very far. Goes into Simi Valley!! Alot of nice trails as you dead down to the end, i got distracted and went down on a few

All fire road hiking with a nearly panoramic view the entire time. Usually fairly quiet and great for sunset viewing in the late afternoon. Going from summit road to the ranch and back is a kick ass workout.

We actually did more than an out and back ... We actually took a spur trail back down to mulholland thanks to geocaching. Was a great point to point that way. Started at stunt road and end on mulholland. Steep in beginning and awesome vista views from the peak. And mostly down hill from there.