Buttermilk Bend Trail

Buttermilk Bend Trail is a 2.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Penn Valley, CA that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

Mostly flat with side trails down to the river.

Not a bad walk at all. Great views of the Yuba River with easy access to the river if desired. Lots of shady spots to stop with benches if you need to. Only bad thing was nobody seems to know how to pick up there dogs poop. Great trail other than that.

Great place to ask your lover to marry you!

I walked this trail in the spring with my husband who has a bad back and has to rest frequently. The trail had a lot of benches so he could sit and rest. The wildflowers were incredible. A very nice trail.

Ok

The hike was easy. The river was beautiful and this is a great swimming and river relaxation spot. I will be going back to hangout for the day!

decent trail. well kept. nothing spectacular about it though. easy enough and plenty of spots to go down to the river and cool off.

Easy hike. Ends where you can take a fairly easy hike down to river edge. Beautiful area. Loved the sound of river as we relaxed near water.

great, short, easy hike.

Went here for the first time with a new friend and I loved it!! Great views of the river bend and a great spot for a picnic! We even brought our babies and they loved it too. Not stroller friendly. We used baby carriers.

So nice with all wildflowers and a lot of water in the river.

Hike this easy trail every year due to the prolific abundance of beautiful wildflowers in the spring. The river was flowing great and it was a gorgeous day. Only issue is the trail is really busy and too many dogs. Would prefer to go on a weekday when it's less crowded.

Great view and swimming holes
!

This is another hike that I took my over-50 ladies group on. It is a very basic, easy hike with pretty views of the river on one side. There are clean, state maintained restroom at the parking lot as well as picnic benches. Across the street is the beautiful Bridgeport Bridge and a walk around Bridgeport State Park. There is an old cemetery if you enjoy looking at headstones, etc as well as an old 1950's remodeled gas station and other FREE things to see as well as easy access to the river's edge. It makes for a nice day if you have out-of-the-area visitors. Lots of space for kids to run. Please don't leave valuables in sight in your car. I did have my window smashed and items stolen on one visit. I will visit this location again. I love it here.

too easy for a real hike. this is basically a nature walk. as a photographer, I can always find beauty here. As, a bird watcher this can be productive.
In the spring there are many wild flowers.
If you walk slowly and appreciate nature it is worthwhile. If you are young, in a hurry, looking for a challenge, or seeking quiet go elsewhere.
It is a very popular weekend stroll.

Even though it states that is 2.5 miles, it felt as we walked 7 miles. Trail is easy for beginners. There are spots where you could see how steep the fall could be. The river had cold water for a Summer day. Given the drought, there are a few spots to get in and swim but with many rocks and slippery for the moss and green growth on rocks. Surprising visitor center with information about the site.

I was looking forward to this hike mostly for the wildflowers but it seems I came about 2 months too late. The hike itself wasn't challenging at all and it ends abruptly which is a bit awkward. A tad disappointed.

Great family hike. Completed the trail with my wife, two kids and our baby in an off road stroller. Decent shade on the second half. Well maintained trail with many resting benches. Great views. After completing the trail we went to the river for a dip bringing the baby in a front pack. Great time was had by all. Not too crowded (considering that it was on Memorial Day).

One of the most beautiful trails I've gone on because of the views. The majority of the trail follows the river and has a view of everything. I went with my dog and it was an easy hike for us. The water was cool and lovely to swim in. There are many different flowers along the trail as well. When we went there were tons of butterflies- one landed on my pups nose. Great for families or to just have a relaxing stroll along the mountain. There is also a $5 parking fee!