Butano State Park Trails

Butano State Park Trails is a 4.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Portola Valley, CA that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round.

This was a pretty, shaded trail. It most definitely is NOT a difficult hike--maybe moderate difficulty at best (worst?). Either way, I do highly recommend this, but it's important to mention that this area is really used by Portola Valley residents and so there's really no place for plebeians to park. Having said that, it's scarcely hiked and the few folks we saw on the hike were very friendly. :)

Very well maintained trail, and I didn't see many people her either (on a Sunday afternoon). I started at the Ano Nuevo trailhead near the park entrance, and went on to the Goat hill and Little Butano Creek trails, coming back to the parking lot.

I was here with 2 other guys this weekend (8/30/13) we took 3 trails up to the trail camp Jackson flats to canyon to Indian and up to camp 5.5ish miles there's a few things to know about this trail there's no water there are streams but they don't really run in summer and 2 its a good hike for me (5'8 250 with a 50 lb pack) it was a challenge but very doable for one of the guys (5'6 160 with a 40 lb pack) in my party not so much he was pretty much dying the whole trip up had to stop for him around 20 or so times and we had to come back a day early because he didn't pack in enough water so what I'm getting at is its not for the inexperienced /out of shape camper .......on to the positive seclusion we didn't see a single person on the trail or in camp beautiful views lots of shade fun hike great camp with a pit toilet camps 8 and 5 have log benches and tables if you hike up to olmo fire road there are beautiful views of the forest

This place is beautiful. I came here all the time as a kid; some of my most fond childhood memories were spent in Butano. It is a good hike and of course kids can do it too :)

This place is beautiful. I came here all the time as a kid; some of my most fond childhood memories. It is a good hike and of course kids can do it too :)

I spent a week Camping & Hiking with in Butano SP... there are a lot of trails ranging from easy to strenuous....the trails cover most of the park and out of the 6 days i was there i only ran into people 3 times while on the trails..Im going to go back to Butano in a few months to see how it looks in Fall as summer was beautiful