Burro Schmidt's Tunnel Drive

Burro Schmidt's Tunnel Drive is a 12.9 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Cantil, California. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking and off road driving.

off road driving

Beautiful and desolate. Bring a map--it's easy to wander off trail by following the wash or other lost hikers attempting to find the tunnel. Trail branches off into several other trails in a dozen places. There are now fences and signs blocking this trail in some parts. Flat in the beginning, but there's some pretty consistent hills and valleys on the way back. Once we found the way back, trail was clearly marked.

The tunnel was pretty cool--amazing how one person with limited tools accomplished all that. A lot of people rode ATVs or 4WDs to the tunnel, so it got a little crowded there.

Fun tunnel but a bit too short. Hit my head and fell a few times as I'm a tall guy. The view at the end when you exit is truly amazing. Probably best to come here with an ATV or OHV.

I hiked from last chance canyon to the tunnel. Lots of hills. Lots of jeeps. Very exciting. The tunnel was shorter than I thought but still a tremendous feat for one man. Very jeep friendly area next time I will bring one.