Buck Rock Fire Lookout Trail

Buck Rock Fire Lookout Trail is a 8.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Springville, CA that offers scenic views and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and off road driving and is accessible from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

off road driving

Easy climb good for kids

Great trail! I had the privilege to hike it in March of 2014. When hiking the trail, which had some pretty steep climbs on dirt paths, you're surrounded by beautiful and sweeping landscapes. As you summit the mountain and see the Fire Lookout the trees open up and you can see the surrounding ranges...it's a beautiful view. I hiked up to the lookout (it was closed because it wasn't in season) and the views from the staircase are AMAZING! Highly recommended for those who have little hiking experience but want a bit of a challenge.

off road driving

There were some difficult climbs, but bypasses are available. Really fun trail with some beautiful views. Completed in FJ with 3" suspension lift and stock Jeep Rubicon.

I mountain biked it. Gorgeous trail and views from the top of the historic tower were incredible.

off road driving

We started from the turn off for Hume Lake 10 mile Drive Hwy 198 just south of the 180/198 junction and rode our dirt bike up and around to Buck Rock Lookout. I hike up to the lookout to enjoy the amazing view and visit with the ranger.We rode down to Big Meadows on the south side and rode out S1411 5 miles before retracting back to our truck. Lots of OHV trails and fire roads in the area. Pretty easy riding and beautiful scenery.