Brown Creek and South Fork Trail Loop

Brown Creek and South Fork Trail Loop is a 2.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Orick, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

bridge out

Directions from Salyer: Take Hwy 299 West to turn left on South Fork Rd. continue 9.2 miles to where the pavement ends (this is the end of the county road). Continue south on Forest Rd. 5N03 for another 2.9 miles. The northernmost mile of trail is actually a 4x4 road and could be driven.

Great hike. The parks map says South Fork is difficult and Brown creek is easy but the top half of Brown Creek isn't easy. About 1/2 mile of South Fork is pretty steep. This is my favorite type of trail.....in the redwoods, tight, narrow single track with some steepness and sometimes close to technical. Pay attention or you will be planted face down. Focus and you will truly enjoy the hike! There is signage for Brown Creek Trail closure because of a bridge out. I went ahead and did it figuring if nothing else I'd just wade the creek. It turned out to be an easy go around... Highly recommend this one and I will do it again. So far, Prairie Creek has been the best redwood area I've hiked. Part of it, no doubt, is I'm doing it off season and have it mostly to myself...