Brokeoff Mountain Trail

Brokeoff Mountain Trail is a 6.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Mill Creek, CA that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from June until December.

rock climbing

Climb one of the park's best trails to experience the unrivaled views from the summit of Brokeoff Mountain. Located four hours north east of San Francisco this Northern California park might be a little out of the way, but it's a prime destination for seekers of tranquility and those with even just a passing interest in geology. Many folk head to Lassen Volcanic National Park with a plan to hike Lassen Peak, and for good reason - it's a really good signature hike for the park. However, if you have time to hike only one peak on your travels here, then you might prefer to choose Brokeoff Mountain which we think is a better hike, but also affords you some of the best views of the park from the summit, including great ones of Lassen Peak. Elevation gain: - 2,600ft (from 6,600 - 9,235ft)

Haven't done this hike in a few years, but it is more of a work-out than the Lassen Peak trail . A very nice glen of trees to stop and rest along the way. Take enough water! I climbed it in the middle of August and ran out of water at the top. :)

One of the best hikes in the park!

This is one of my favorite hikes in Lassen. It's strenuous, but has a lot of variety--forest, meadows, a creek, & outstanding views from the top!

What a most beautiful view from the top. The best trail in the Lassen Park.

This was a fun trail with great views! Not an easy hike, but very rewarding. We had beautiful weather and not too much traffic on the trail.

Lassen is one of my new favorite places. Since the Lassen Peak trail is still closed, I decided to do Brokeoff Mountain. It is seven miles roundtrip with 2600’ elevation gain. It took me about 4.5 hours to complete with plenty of stops to take photos and a nice lunch break at the top.
..............
I would not classify this as a double black diamond hike. I would rate it moderate to strenuous. The first 2.5 miles are the most difficult, because of the steepness of the trail. The trail eventually levels out, and the climb becomes gradual. It was relatively easy to get to the summit. The trail is very nicely maintained and easy to follow. Gorgeous views greet you at every turn. The forest sections are so peaceful and happy. It snowed the week prior, so there was a little snow on the trail. I used a trekking pole to help cross the more slippery parts.
..............
The views from the summit are stunning. The weather was perfect, so there were clear views of Lassen Peak and Mount Shasta in the distance. It was a bit windy and chilly at the top. I was glad to have gloves and a jacket with me. There were a lot of people at the summit, including a very loud and rambunctious group of boy scouts and bunch of giggly college girls. I didn’t stay as long as I wanted. Still, I am so glad I did it. This was a great hike that I will likely do again.

So nice. I was lucky enough to experience a handful or crazy weather patterns all in one afternoon. One of these storms took away my sunset return but some crazy sleet was plenty exciting as an alternative. Love this hike. So glad I got to squeeze it in before it gets any more snowy.

Great workout for us 50 plus folks. Nice payoff views from the summit.

Great workout with a beautiful payoff at at the summit. My wife and I are on the shady side of fifty but a good soak in a tub afterwards erased most of the incurred damage.

Fast and furious on the way up. Good heart pounding stuff. Spent some time on the top just hanging out and enjoying the view. Came down slow to enjoy all the different flora and fauna. Definitely worth the trip. A good pair of hiking shoes or boot are helpful. Trail is well traveled so getting lost is by choice. Not a lot of traffic on the trail. Great motorcycle trip!

Great views, beautiful meadows! I even had a bear encounter my last hike there!

great trail good leg workout pretty steep and gorgeous views through the whole trail definitely a good one

This is actually a beautiful trail with trees along all but the last 1/8mi of trail. The summit offers a great 360 view with Lassen peak to the east and a flat top.

Definitely challenging. Hike took about 2:45 up &1:20 down. Trail is very well maintained & not as rocky as some, lots of shady spots to catch your breath until you pass the treeline a half mile or so from the peak. Total distance clocked by my fitbit was 8 miles roundtrip, not 7 as some suggest. Views were spectacular.

Moderate to challenging hike. The parking lot is small so get there early. The trail up top is rather narrow, so I was a bit scared. One slip and down you go, lol. Luckily, my group was all ok and got to see a nice view of Lassen Peak in the near distance. There was also lots of pretty wildflowers and interesting moss on the trees to see during the hike. Saw a couple of deer too.

Tough, but awesome hike. Great views. Summit is great. My wife and I did it with our kids -- 7,9,11 years old. Bring plenty of water. Only places to filter water are in the first miles and the last miles.

The hike is really scenic. The summit will give you a great 360 view of Lassen NP. You will be able to see Shasta and Lassen Peak very clearly from here.

The hike is hard but if you take enough breaks, there is no reason why you can't make it to the top. The trail will take you through the dense forest of Lassen, crossing a few small streams, and as you approach the summit, the trees are gone leaving you with low rising bushes.

The view is nothing short of amazing!

One of my favorites! Beautiful terrain, wooded most of the way, gorgeous views, excellent run back down. We hiked it on September 30th, not crowded at all, maybe saw 7-8 people sporadically. Be prepared to work your calves!!!

There were only a few other people on the trail and nobody on the summit when we did this midweek in July. Overall I would say I like this trail better than Lassen Peak; it's always open, fewer people, it passes through alpine meadows and green thickets full of butterflies and whatnot, instead of straight dirt and rock. The summit is also much smaller; allowing you to see in nearly every direction at once.