Boy Scout Trail To Willow Hole

Boy Scout Trail To Willow Hole is a 20.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Twentynine Palms, CA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Directions from Twentynine Palms: Follow Twentynine Palms Highway westward 5.5 miles to Indian Cove Road. Turn left on Indian Cove Road and follow it to the backcountry registry, where Boy Scout Trail begins.

This is my favorite trail in Joshua Tree so far. It isn't overly strenuous and the views are awesome. When I think back to everything I did there, I always remember this hike first. There are plenty of cool places to wander off the main trail to make yourself a hidden camp for the night among the various rock outcroppings. Be sure to bring a headlamp and plenty of battery power for your camera so you can wander about at sunset taking pictures and enjoying the night sky. This was a wonderful hike, I would gladly do it again.

It was nice. We just Hiked it down to big pine trail then back. Good little elevation change over one area. Sandy washed made it a little tiering tho.

Awesome trail. Loved the scenery. One of the better trails Joshua Tree has to offer. I would take it from south to north. That actually takes you down hill.

Long hike with some fun in the middle.

Depending on what way you go. I did the Keys to Indian Cove route. At about a mile or a half in you get to a bit of hiking up. Great views when you get to the top of the pass. The second half of the journey is generally flat and passes a lot of bolder piles that are fun to climb. Not a lot of sun relief out here. You walk through a lot of soft sand. Took about 4 hours.

A fast, fun stroll through a wonderland of stone and pointy plants. We camped mid-way, and were caught in the midnight winds freezing their way down from an icy Gorgonio. Take everything you *might* need to be comfy.

Great walk, if you like the desert. I must say that it has been Joshua Tree that has given me a love for the desert.

We just did one way, as we live in the area and were able to arrange drop off and pick up. Start at the Joshua Tree end and finish near Indian Cove for the easiest hike, it is uphill going the other way through some pretty tough territory....moderate, i think they call it. The woman that we passed on our way down didn't look as though she was thinking moderate in her endeavors!

it is beautiful, and didn't take nearly as long as I thought it would. It is well marked and well travelled, we met a number of different hikers all along the way. Remember that this is a desert hike, so starting early and preferrably in the spring or fall is the way to go. There is one section that is a straight down hill walk, very steep, I did not realize how difficult walking down hill could be on your hips and thighs. There is a wash that is soft sand, which is also a little difficult.

The views are amazing and it is a good beginners hike.

The downside to this hike is that you basically hike from one road to another and at either end there is no shade or bench, just a dirt parking area. The hike itself is beautiful and the heat in July is wonderful. I would do it again though as there aren't many hikes here in the 12 - 16 mile range.

Excellent fall/winter running trail with beautiful views of the Mojave desert landscape. The trail moves from open desert through washes, single-track hills and bajadas... and is very well marked (but pay attention). Trail runners should be prepared for packed sand, some very minor technical moves over rocks/boulders AND areas with very sandy/rocky washes. I kicked more than a few rocks in the washes and was glad I had good toe box coverage. It also reminded me to pick up my dang feet.
It is the desert so make sure you have sufficient water. Even on a beautiful 70 day the dry heat and relentless sun can really pull your energy. There is little to no shade. I ran in the morning from the southern park trailhead to Indian Cove and back. My GPS tracked just over 16 miles in approximately 3.5 hours (I did stop to take pictures and rest on occasion).

Great trail takes you thru washes, canyons and amazing rock groupings. Gains a 1000 feet, mostly flat in desert with a few switch backs. Well marked trail and start early.