Bootjack Trail Loop

Bootjack Trail Loop is a 6.6 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Mill Valley, CA that features a river. The trail is rated as moderate offers a number of activity options.

old growth

Admire the breathtaking Redwood (Sempervirens) Trees as you stroll through historic groves.

Well kept trail. Nice and cool weather when we went. Make sure to bring water as there are no fountains on the trail and a map as always. Have fun!

Hiked this yesterday. Some signage issues but not a big deal. Hiked up Bootjack and then down Troup 80 / Sierra / etc. This worked out well for us because my wife trail ran down; this would have been extremely difficult coming down Bootjack. Nice views along the ridgeline at the top. Very quiet once you get off the boardwalk. Saw maybe 20 or so people.

It's a pretty loop. However, if you start at the Muir Woods center you have to pay the $10 per person park admittance fee.

Great hike. The first part is leisurely through the Muir Wood redwood and then a gradual incline uphill for the next 2 miles on Lower Fern Trail to Sierra Trail then Troop 80 to BootJack Traill. You end the hike cooling down and going downhill.

Me: This trail is easy.
Bootjack Trail: But wait there's more!!!
Me: Oh sh*t.
Bootjack Trail: Surprise MoFo!!! Second half of me is all incline!!!
Me: Oh the humanity!!!

Beautiful trail with a lot of waterfalls and redwoods. You will burn up alot of calories with this hike. Also keep it secret, don't push the common tourist to see this. Anyway, at the top of the trail is a meadow so make sure to play some Rocky music and do what he did at the Rocky steps in Philadelphia. You will be exhausted but proud when you get here.

Head right to what looks like an incline with stone made steps, that is Troop 80 trail (enjoy the beautiful and extremely quiet at times woods and views). It will take you to the easy and do-able downhill Sierra Trail. Once you reach the campground parking lot, make a right into the Fern Creek Trail and in exactly 100 feet the Plevin Cut (short"cut") will be on your right. It will take you to the Camp Eastwood Trail and on to the noisy main trail.

I rated this trail a "3" star earlier, but that was because I actually didn't stay on the right trail! Knowing the area a little better, I connected with Bootjack hiking from Muir Woods & it was awesome! Nice stream & good dose of stairs.

Not sure I stayed on Bootjack trail because it didn't seem like a 6 mile loop. Ended up branching off a side trail down to Stinson Beach that was a little over 4 miles. All downhill so it was pretty easy. Rainy weather forced me to walk a slower pace but it was nice. Saw a few wild turkeys, banana slugs, & various birds.

Serenity

Bootjack Trail is very nice and peaceful, but start early, and know it's going to be a bit of a climb. Flows a creek most of the way. Hiking sticks will be your friend on this trail for the incline and many thick stairs. Go early to avoid crowds. We did the bootjack to troop 80 to fern creek to lost trail loop and covered about 9 miles total.

As far as beauty and trails go - this is the one to hike. Being from Southern California, this was my first hike amongst the unparalleled beauty that is Northern California.

Parked and started at theBootjack Trailhead. Parking is 8 dollars but nobody was around and all I had was 2 bucks. I'll pay you back someday, CA State Parks, I promise.

Be prepared to walk almost entirely downhill until you meet up with the Muir Woods trailhead and it's tourists. I decided to avoid them and turned around and hiked up to Alice Eastwood campground, where I connected with the Sierra trail, the Troop 80 trail, and then eventually back with the Bootjack trail and parking lot.

Altogether the hike was about 5 miles give or take. Bring water (2-3 16oz bottles should suffice) and some protein/food as the hike took about 4 hours.

One piece of advice: if you're not in shape as much as you'd like to be, maybe consider a different trail as I'm pretty sure I saw "the light" a couple of times.

Excellent at dusk.

I did the Muir Woods -Bootjack-TCC-Dipsea Loop and had a blast. This was a moderate trail. I started in the Muir Woods National Monument. I had to park down on the side of the road because I got a late start in the day, about noon. The section of trails in Muir woods proper are mostly boardwalk and have bathrooms at the start. There is a small fee to get into the park as well. At the end of the boardwalk I was able to continue onto the Bootjack trail, then took the TCC trail to the Dipsea trail and then all the way back to the Muir Woods park entrance. Somewhere around Bootjack you end up in Mt Tamalpais State Park. This part of the trail gets nice and quite and is a great forest stroll. Parts of the trails have steep inclines with some stairs to help out. Also there is some wildlife as I came around a corner and ran into two groups of Turkeys. The male was not please with my presence and puffed up and growled at me until I passed. Most of the trails also run along side a creek which had about 100 small waterfalls and crystal clear water. Parts of the Dipsea trail opened up to a meadow and some decent views of the coast. I would recommend sunblock and a hat for that section of trails. I ended up doing 6.5 miles in about 4 hours and barely saw any other people. I happened to also go late on a Friday.
I love the variety of trails that run through Muir Woods and Mt. Tamalpais and next time I want to try the coastal trail or the ocean view trail to get a better view of the coast.

Not a very difficult trail. The view from the atrium is awesome.

Great trail!! Love to get away from SF

We went up to Mt Tam to do the Dipsea trail but it was packed- some event going on. So instead we chose to go down Bootjack. It was lovely. The kids had a blast. We took our time going down just so we could take it all in, the hike itself was fairly easy going down. There was one spot of the trail that was quite iffy, it must have been rained out, but other than that one spot it was very well maintained. We went back up the Stapleveldt Trail. That was pretty killer, we were all worn out by the time we got back to the top, the kids refused to walk anymore once we got to the Dipsea Station and my husband had to hike the last 1/2 mile to get the car from the Bootjack parking lot. As hard as coming back up was it was still very nice, although I think we didn't get to enjoy it quite as much as the trip down. :)

Here's a good day's worth of trails. Start at Muir Woods. Take the Hillside Trail (starts at the end of the second bridge)and go left at the Ben Johnson trail. Continue straight at the Stapleveldt trail to Pantoll Ranger Station. Cross the road and bear right to the Old Mine Trail. Follow up and over the hills to the Rock Springs parking lot and take the Cateract trail to the Helen Markt trail. Lunch at Alpine lake. Head back via the Kent trail and join the Benstein trail just beyond the Protrero Camp. Return to the Pantoll Ranger Station and back track to Muir Woods This hike should be about 16 miles. There are numerous other trails you can take to return to Muir Woods if you want to lengthen your hike. All are solid options.

I love the part of this trail that loops down to Muir Woods from Alpine Trail.
You'll need to park at the Bootjack picnic area or you can park for free just up the road and cross the street to the barely visit trail head.
The best part of this trail is the gorgeous scenery. It's almost as if you are on a trail in Hawaii. At the end of the trail, before it turns to Bootjack Spur, at the right time of year you can see the clouds of lady bugs flying in the air as they come to settle in the cool mist of the valley floor for the months to come.
Take Bootjack Spur up to Alice Eastwood campground/trail. A nice rest stop if you want to have a picnic lunch. Once there you can take the High Sierra trail and all it's switch backs to Troop 80 and eventually back to Bootjack.
It's a great hike and wonderful exercise. Give yourself 2-3 hours!