Boney Mountain Overlook Trail

Boney Mountain Overlook Trail is a 8.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Newbury Park, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

Couple of friends and I tackled this hike last weekend. We got to the trail at almost 10am and thankfully we weren't any later because this hike took a lot longer than we expected it to. We parked and headed up the paved road towards the Satwiwa Native American Indian Culture Center. If you stay on the paved road and go to the right, like we did, you will end up on the "Old Boney Mt trail" which is just a short loop that took us a bit longer route. You'll already be walking far enough if you plan to go to the peak, so I would suggest you stay to the left, cross over the cute little bridge near the culture center and take the feeder trail through the grassy field. About half of the hike is fire roads with gradual elevation gain an loss, nothing too difficult. There is a detour that will take you too a waterfall, which was very nice when we went! Once you get past the monument the trail is pretty difficult, the trail is not maintained and it is more like a climb up a very narrow trail for a few miles, which, thanks to all of the rain lately, is very washed out in some parts. This trail is definitely an ankle-breaker. Hiking boots and poles are a great idea. I would go on a clear day, the views were great but it would've been better on a clear day. We heard a couple say that on a clear day you could even see Mt. Baldy from the top. took us a little less than 4 hours to get to the peak, and 2 hours to get down. At the peak there was a native american gentleman playing a flute, we sat with him feeling the surreal, nostalgic yearning for the people who once lived on these lands. I will definitely visit the culture center next time.

Hike became a last minute idea or ours and did not start until 3pm. Nice lady on the trail did not recommend completing it since it would be dark if we made it to the summit. We made it to Danielson Monument at 5pm and decided to turn back. We had plenty of water with us but did not have warm clothes. Great trail with incredible views. We will be back in the following weeks to complete it, this time we will get an early start.
Oh yeah, just before we got to the trailhead we saw a group who was walking on the trail blindfolded using only their senses. Turned out they were part of the new berry park martial arts center and putting their skills to the test. Great group of individuals.

Good, challenging day hike through chaparral. Somewhat marred by views of urban development and area will need time to recover from recent fires.

Its long. Take ur phone and make sure you stay on the right trail. There are plenty of turns and forks. It was rough. But a good hike. Took my dog with me and we made it.

Best hike ever, difficult, but not super bad, you can rock climb at the top into caves as well! When I went, it was inside of a cloud so no view but the experience was fantastic!

Went out and hiked to the top of Boney Mt yesterday. Agree with folks who point out this is not a moderate trail once you pass the "monument". A few items I would point out for first timers to this hike as follows 1) When you mapquest the address for the trailhead you end up at a road that is for authorized vehicles only. So we backtracked to the end of Wendy and folks there pointed us over to the State Park parking lot off of Lynn Road; 2) Starting at Lynn or Wendy appears to add about 8/10 mile round trip to the hike; 3) the trail marking was a little confusing and resulted in about 2 miles of backtracking. Biggest mistake we made was to turn at a fork that was labeled Old Boney Mt trail - don't do it - keep going to and past the "monument" which is identified on the fork in the road. 4) Once past the monument it's a pretty strenuous climb up several thousand feet on a trail that is in rough shape.

So with all this said it was an awesome hike. We ended up going between 12 and 13 miles in about 5 hours. The view at the top was spectacular although on the Pacific side it was overcast. I would note that my buddy rolled his ankle on the way down the hill so the warnings on other posts are spot on. I would have rated the hike a 5 if not for the trail condition in a few spots. Sorry for the long post - wanted to share lessons learned!

Always a solid hike, great views and lots of fun! This time we decided to take Boney to fossil trail; a step traverse down then back up the Black B.

Tough but great workout. 2 hours up from road below Ranger Houses to the peak. 20 min on top for fried chicken and buddy's home brewed IPA (first time in MANY years I had a beer at 8:30 am). Back down in 1:40 with some trail jogging. Started at 6:30. 30-min - 1 hour earlier next time would be better. Parts of the trail really work calves and heart rate. Maybe the Overlook is moderate, but the peak should be labelled hard. Wonder why AllTrails doesn't have the summit hike listed. I would guess it is closer to 10 mi out and back.