Boney Mountain Overlook Trail

Boney Mountain Overlook Trail is a 8.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Newbury Park, CA that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

Went out and hiked to the top of Boney Mt yesterday. Agree with folks who point out this is not a moderate trail once you pass the "monument". A few items I would point out for first timers to this hike as follows 1) When you mapquest the address for the trailhead you end up at a road that is for authorized vehicles only. So we backtracked to the end of Wendy and folks there pointed us over to the State Park parking lot off of Lynn Road; 2) Starting at Lynn or Wendy appears to add about 8/10 mile round trip to the hike; 3) the trail marking was a little confusing and resulted in about 2 miles of backtracking. Biggest mistake we made was to turn at a fork that was labeled Old Boney Mt trail - don't do it - keep going to and past the "monument" which is identified on the fork in the road. 4) Once past the monument it's a pretty strenuous climb up several thousand feet on a trail that is in rough shape.

So with all this said it was an awesome hike. We ended up going between 12 and 13 miles in about 5 hours. The view at the top was spectacular although on the Pacific side it was overcast. I would note that my buddy rolled his ankle on the way down the hill so the warnings on other posts are spot on. I would have rated the hike a 5 if not for the trail condition in a few spots. Sorry for the long post - wanted to share lessons learned!

Always a solid hike, great views and lots of fun! This time we decided to take Boney to fossil trail; a step traverse down then back up the Black B.

Tough but great workout. 2 hours up from road below Ranger Houses to the peak. 20 min on top for fried chicken and buddy's home brewed IPA (first time in MANY years I had a beer at 8:30 am). Back down in 1:40 with some trail jogging. Started at 6:30. 30-min - 1 hour earlier next time would be better. Parts of the trail really work calves and heart rate. Maybe the Overlook is moderate, but the peak should be labelled hard. Wonder why AllTrails doesn't have the summit hike listed. I would guess it is closer to 10 mi out and back.

It was tough and challenging, so not moderate.

tough trek up with some nice views, especially at the top. getting there is not scenic however. I'd rate it difficult after doing it now for 3rd time not sure why rated so low. 9.2 miles from dirt lot and over 2000 ft climbing in a trough or gutter for some of the way. going down is tough in joints too.

Great day hike!

Amazing hike!! Especially in the spring after a good rain. So many wildflowers.

Honestly I personally didn't fall in love with the trail that much but I do know that it's my fault because I didn't prepare for it. It did however have various terrain and tails. Very beautiful.

The nice thing about this hike is that it is varied. Some parts of the trail are nice and easy, other parts have been washed almost completely away and are more challenging. The views are very good and on a clear day they are great.

ive now done this trail a bakers dozen times. its a solid 6 hr out and back with a little rest on the peak. my girlfriend did it in running shoes and peaked... cursing under her breath... but did it.
great training hike and absolutely beautiful at the top.

A great hike. Steep and scrambling at the end.

Awesome!

I highly recommend this hiking trail. it's a wonderful and strenuous hike. the view from the peak of the mountain is beautiful. I suggest hikers bring sufficient water and food. :)

I am a very unexperienced hiker and survived this hike! It is fairly easy until you get to the cabin (head towards the danielson monument) then you just keep going past the cabin and things start to get interesting. Needless to say my boyfriend loved it, lots of stepping/climbing up on rocks and carved dirt ruts. I was using both hands to get me up some parts but didn't slip much going up. Once at the top the view is spectacular! The trail is beautiful too, and much of the higher parts were untouched by the springs fire. If you keep venturing you can climb boulders :). We did this in our running shoes and didn't have too much of a problem besides our feet being sore! It does get a little gravelly on the way down but if you're careful you'll be alright. I slipped a few times but just took my time and it turned out just fine. We went through about three bottles of water but if it was any hotter we probably could have gone through more. I definitely recommend this trail! Just follow the signs to the danielson monument. Happy hiking!

This is a great hike overall, though 7.5 miles is a little under. My track put me at 8.8, with 2500' of gain which includes the few hundred coming back towards Satwiwa. This I would also say is more strenuous than moderate. Once you get to the old cabin site it becomes quite rocky and rutted, however still very passable and enjoyable. There is many spots where you get nice cool ocean breezes, but once you about 1/3 of a mile past the cabin, there isn't much shade anymore so bring sunscreen, lots of snacks/lunch, and a ton of water. I went through three liters, which was just about right. Great views on your way up, and even better at the top!

Have no doubt, this hike is a knee buster. It's hard, strenuous and you will feel it for a few days. I like to train on this trail before doing elevation hikes like Baldy and San Jacinto. You must go over 2 ridges before you even start your Boney ascent at the Danielson monument, which is the bottom of the hill. From there, it's mostly all elevation, in many places on loose rock and vertical gully washes.
I have rolled my ankle a few times on this trail... it IS dangerous.
However, the payoff at the peak is awesome. Be prepared. Bring a lot of water, you will need it, and a fat sandwich as your reward at the peak.
If you are adventurous, you can head further back to the Tri-Peaks and even Sandstone.

so thankful to have been introduced to this hike. have completed 3 times. bring lots of water, snacks, lunch, someone to share the experience with is always amazing. you will sweat and be very sore. well worth it. leave early and give yourself 7 hours.

Amazing experience, it was intense. I guess there are a lot of little different trails to take, but the one that my friend and I took with my friend was about 8 miles round trip. Top to bottom and it took us about 6 hours. mostly up hill, I didnt know what hiking was until i went on this trail.

Great Hike...even in the heat. I wish the Waterfall was more of a flow, it will be pretty later on. I love the Rain ruts & Rocks going up, it was a challenge & fun :-) The Views at the top are breathtaking. My friend and I enjoyed a nice lunch talking & laughing...looking DoWN!!! The birds UP there really enjoyed my bite of sandwich I left. Very nice Hike, look forward to doing it again when its cooler & the water is flowing in the Creek. I'd like to follow the Creek up to the waterfall, I enjoy the rock hopping and so does my Hiking partner :-) We can't wait till it Rains, to really do some Hiking :-)