Blue Sky Ecological Reserve Trail

Blue Sky Ecological Reserve Trail is a 3.8 mile out and back trail located near Poway, CA that features hot springs. The trail is good for all skill levels offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

wheelchair friendly

hot springs

Great and easy hike!

Like this hike but I have not gone up to Ramona yet, we Always turn off and head up to do the Lake Poway Loop trail prior to heading back. There is a lot of poison oak but if you stay on the trail you will be fine. About a mile in turn right on the trail up to Lake Poway and there is a little picnic area on the right with flush toilets. After that the hike up to the Lake is pretty steep but rewarding once you hit the top. Stop in the beautiful grassy picnic areas and enjoy the view and shade. We take our dogs on this and they love it.

Fun enjoyable hike. Steep and paved at the end. Friendly folks all along the way. Explore out to Poway lake if you like on a connecting trail.

Like one of the other reviewers this isn't the kind of hike I usually go for but I definitely think one star is a bit harsh. This is a long, mild, gradually sloping dirt road hike with a nice steep, asphalt slope at the end. There are porta-pottys at the beginning and the end and dogs are welcome. This is a nice, rock free walk with the potential to get your blood pumping if you go all the way to the top.

This trail featured tall, gorgeous, trees of shade and a variety of wildlife! Some of the animals encountered on the reserve during our visit include: coyotes, woodpeckers, squirrels, hawks, and a covey of quail. Picnic areas were available further into the park and I noticed a lot of local events are scheduled throughout the month when I was reviewing some of their pamphlets. Although, the incline is not very intense-- do expect that you will be hiking upwards further into the trail. This trail would also be a great place to take your dog (on leash) or have them participate in group dog walking events!

One of the most fun hikes I've done in San Diego; the first mile or so is not difficult but is really cool and fun to walk through (its also a really easy mile run). After the first mile if you continue towards Lake Ramona, it gets steeper and more challenging but it's still really fun and you're completely surrounded by nature. Once you get to the top its an awesome view with one of the cleanest lakes I have ever seen; you can't swim in the lake but if its summer, I would take the risk:) It takes about 40-45 minutes to get up and then about 40-45 down if you're walking at a steady, somewhat brisk pace with little to no breaks. It's definitely family/dog friendly and the people on the trail are usually really nice so make sure to say hi!! I hope you enjoy it:)

Of the brief time I have been hiking this is my least favorite trail. Most of the trail is nice and a lot of nature to see but the last part hiking up the asphault road, on the back side of the dam was unexpected and not what "I" go on hikes for. This is just my opinion.

A very nice trail for families and their four legged companions. Lots of shady trees for the first 1.5 miles and then a semi switchback with a moderate grade up to the Ramona Lake Dam. I observed several Coyotes in the afternoon hours, so I highly suggest small dogs remain on leashes.