Blue Sky Canyon Trail

Blue Sky Canyon Trail is a 5.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Poway, CA that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and birding and is accessible year-round.

Very nice hike with a lot of Riparian Oaks which I like. A little confusing at times bc trails aren't all marked especially around the lake itself. The lake loop is gorgeous. Two thumbs up even though I got overheated at mile 5. We hiked at 1:00 and it was at least 90 degrees. So there's that.

Tough but worth it! Not a lot of shade so go early.

great hike! definitely worth the time which was longer than my anticipated 2 hrs. we didn't complete loop and it was 7 miles to Lake Ramona 1/3 way around and back down!

I have hiked here with family and friends as well as our dogs on numerous occasions. The trail is well maintained, there are real bathrooms both at a midway point and up at the lake as well as a snack bar. It can get hot and there is limited shade once you start your ascent up to the lake so take plenty of water and sunscreen. This will always be a go to hike for me, park at Blue Sky Ecological parking lot, never had any problems here.

Loved this gorgeous trail up to Lake Poway with my lab. I did two miles to the lake and back for a total of 4 miles at 31 weeks pregnant. Steep half mile winding path up-hill to the lake but the view is worth the burn! Bring sunscreen and water and a collapsable bowl for your pup. Once you start going up there is little shade so I bet it gets stupid hot in the summer. I didn't see any bathrooms but I will do this hike over and over and try the other trails as well as go during sunset.

Love this hike! Beautiful and peaceful!

good cardio! trail to and around Poway lake is great and very beautiful. very active trail.

An easy hike with shade and some elevation

Nice hike.

Blue Sky was fun to do once. I prefer nature trails to access roads which is one reason I don't plan on going back. The power lines were the other deterrent.
There is a steep incline for maybe .25 or .5 miles that would be difficult for children, older adults, or some one who was out of shape. Wear a hat and sunscreen--there are no trees for shade.

I took the route to the Poway dam. Good mix of wooded and open space, with all the usual wildlife.

Good not all that scenic but has some great views from the dam. If you go to the top of the dam and look to you left you can climb up to the top of the peak and that is where you can see a good portion of San Diego on the right day.

The trail is very easy until the hike to the lake Ramona begins. It then becomes very steep as you follow a system of dirt and paved switchbacks to the top of the dam. Great views but they are often obscured by power-lines and processing plants. I was passed by three trucks on the hike which kinda ruined it for me. Good work out though and nice clear lake at the top. Took me a little over 2 hours round trip and was 4.8 miles total. Probably won't do it again but it was worth the one trip and I would suggest it to a friend!

nice hike, good for all. its a little hard on the way up to the dam.

I really liked this hike in the beginning because of the tree coverage and the scenery. It was awesome. However, when you get about a mile and a half out from the beginning, the coverage ends and you basically follow a dirt road up to the dam. It's a great work out and the view towards the top is great, but it isn't my favorite type of hike. There are some port-a-potties and lunch tables around a mile or so into the hike so it's a great picnic spot, especially on a hot day. Great out-and-back hike