Blue Canyon Lake

Blue Canyon Lake is a 4.9 mile out and back trail located near Pinecrest, CA and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from July until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I live in the Sonora area so I am always exploring the pass and the surrounding Sierra Nevada, but I have to say this is one of my favorite hikes. It's uphill the entire way until you reach the lake. During a warm summers day the lake is an aqua blue, if you chose to go on a cloudy day the lake will be a deep green. Either way it's absolutely stunning. There's a beautiful creek to follow as well and many wild flowers.

We completed this hike in August of 2014. Instead of starting above the falls we crossed Deadman Creek below the falls and worked our way up to the notch to the right high above the falls. This route kept us right along the creek most of the was. It also required several creek crossings. Lots of bear scat and other animal signs the entire hike. The lake is an amazing shade of blue. Returning along the more traveled route provides breath taking views. This is one that definitely goes into the "I'll do it again" bucket.

Beautiful hike near the top of Sonora Pass. All uphill on the way while enjoying wildflowers, mountains, creek, and waterfalls. The lake is just gorgeous. Clear and turquoise in color.