Black Star Canyon Trail

Black Star Canyon Trail is a 6.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Silverado, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

cave

Parking located at the trail start point

This hike was fun. It's not like most of my hikes with 2000-4000 elevation gain. I thought from reading the other reviews that it was going to be easy. This hike has 3 parts. The first is the fire road and it's very easy with nice views. The second part is also easy and goes right along the stream. The last parts is..THE ROCKS. It will give you an upper body workout and test your balance many times. This part wore me out. Gloves will help here. The falls were beautiful and doing it on a Tuesday meant less crowds. This was waaayyy more of a challenge then I thought it would be. I bet it's a zoo on the weekend.

This was awesome but its a little rough getting to the falls my kids loved it

I though this was a great hike but I highly recommend to NOT bring your dog! My dog is a pretty big boy and LOVES climbing boulders and rocks but it was even a little much for him, when you get towards the end, it gets a bit more tough. we ended up turning back and deciding to come back without our dogs.

Go a few days after rain and the waterfall at the end will be flowing. Once you're past the fire road and into the gulch, the "trail" becomes very rugged. You will sometimes push through brush, jump across water (or just walk in it). I would recommend adequate coverage for your arms and legs for the brush. And walking sticks to help with balance when descending from the waterfall which I didn't bring with me this time, but I wish I had. It would have been very useful. Also probably some weight lifting gloves or something to protect your hands cause some of those rocks are quite rough when you need to climb up. I saw a lot of people with bruised/scrapped shins. So maybe some shin pads too haha.

first time visiting here, i was not expecting the hike over the riverbed & boulders. but overall it was doable, had an amazing hike & experience here, thanks for the rain, the waterfall is beautiful

Great hike! Be prepared to scramble one you go left at the steal "Black Star Canyon Falls" sign. Its steadily gets more and more adventurous starting with scrambling to full on bouldering. Plan for 4/5 hours to complete RT. The bouldering time going up and coming down can take some time to maneuver but definitely doable. Have fun and enjoy! Oh and a plus is there is water now at the falls that have been there since 2011!!

great hike. want to go back once we have more rain.