EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Black Hill Trail

Black Hill Trail is a 2.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Morro Bay, CA that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

Climb up to Black Hill with great views from the summit. Black Hill is the second to last of nine volcanic plugs that lie between San Luis Obispo and Morro Bay (the last being Morro Rock itself). The hike to the top travels through Fleming's Forest--a hillside of Monterey Pine trees that were planted by John Fleming (a former park superintendent). It is rumored that Black Hill received its name due to the tar seep on the north side of the hill. This scenic and enjoyable hike is relatively easy and can be done in just a couple of hours.

It's easy, and great for hiking with dogs (small ones in my case). I usually park all the way up past the golf course. I've been here many times and have never seen (or felt) any mosquito. Not sure if the person below was closer to the golf course, where there may be water spots because of the extensive watering, promoting mosquito reproduction.

This was our first hike and was the perfect start to what we hope to be a lifelong love. The hike was beautiful and was appropriately labeled as easy. Some parts were very steep, but overall it was not too difficult. Bring in a shady, humid area, it did have quite a few mosquitos so bring your repels t.

SWARMED BY MOSQUITOES!!! We hiked from the upper trailhead, so we were only on the trail for about 20 minutes, and I got at least a dozen bites. My friend was wearing DEET bug spray and she still got bit. The view at the top of the hill was spectacular, but we didn't linger, we rushed back down the hill and drove to a drug store to buy anti-itch cream. I would recommend this hike because the view of Morro Rock, the bay, and the estuary are amazing, but don't go mid-afternoon in August unless you love mosquitoes.

Great day hike, awesome views

This was an awesome trail. I took my three girls with me 5,3,and almost 2. They did great for their ages... There are some pretty steep parts that were a little interesting getting them up and down but we had a great time, took us about 2.5 hours round trip. I'm sure if you do this with older kids or just adults it would probably cut that time significantly. We had a great time :)

Really nice. Pretty. Only a couple steep spots but nothing my grandmother couldn't do. Make it to the top it's worth it

We are camping in the State Park for 5 days, this was a great hike right out of our front door. Took our dog and 9 year old, it is a great hike through the trees and up to an amazing view.

Really breathtaking view. Went with five kids, aged 2-10. Very easy hike.

Quick easy hike from the parking lot. Great views. Nice climb for kids but I saw a lady with a stroller, even though it was on off road type I was not easy.

This was my first time hiking in years, and I definitely enjoyed it. However the drive to the start of this trail is likely to take you longer than it will to hike to the end of it. This is an enjoyable trail for those who like to take family or dogs with them on their hikes. oh and don't go when it's foggy out like I did, the view is just a few trees and a big cloud in that case.

Love it. It's really short to the top and you're rewarded with amazing views- easy to see all the Morros in a row. Great for kids who may not be able to hike the other peaks.

A nice little hike. We started about 10am and walked up in the fog. The sun started breaking through just as we reached the top. Watching the sun spread over the bay was worth the hike.

We parked our car at the California State Park headquarters and began the grove hike connecting to the Black Hill hike. The headquarters are located near the intersection of Park View Drive and State Park Drive. The grove trail was dry dirt today, but could become very muddy and slippery when it becomes wet. The grove trail is well pronounced, but not maintained as well as the Black Hill Trail. This trail passes through small groves or oaks and eucalyptus. The monarch butterflies nest in these eucalyptus trees from about October the February. Stay on the trails as there is an abundance of poison oak just off the trail in the shade of the trees. We saw a number of people using the trail. The trail was being used by campers staying at Morro Bay State Park where there is a trail head to the Black Hill Hike and residence of Morro Bay using the trail as a workout. People were very friendly and everyone was having a good time. The summit of Black Hill provides unrestricted views of Morro Bay, Morro Rock, and the surrounding area Try and go when the fog is not in. At times the fog can hide Morro Rock. This short hike is a must if you are camping, and an attraction to people who live out of the area. It may be short, especially if you drive to the upper trail head, but the hike is well worth your time and effort.

Thanks to the pics that showed the little ones I knew that this was perfect for me and my girls, and it sure was. we had a blast, take the kids and check out our beautiful town. I love morro bay...

Nice trail, recommend starting from Morro Bay state camping park right near the marina. Makes it worth the hike to see more along the way.

Wasn't terribly exciting. Parked on La Loma Street and started the trail from there, headed east on one of the trails though the pine forest, wrapping around the hill. I arrived at the top of the hill just before sunset. Definitely a great place to view Morro Bay, on a clear day. If you're going to go, do it for the sunset and get a few panoramas if you can. Definitely an easy one for kids; if they don't want to walk the two miles around the hill first, there's a parking lot near the top that makes it a five-minute climb to the top.

This trail is way more than 0.5 if you start at the base and work your way to the peak. Most people just start near the golf course and walk their way up to the base. It is a wonderful, arduous hike, with excellent photographic opportunities. A pair of falcons grace the mountain, turkey vultures ride the vents, there are dead trees completely overtaken by poison oak, and an amazing array of wild flowers. It took me two hours to climb, but I did shoot about 600 pictures on the way up. Also, there are no markings to the peak, and a lot of turn-offs. I had to mark the correct paths so as not to get lost. And actually, the sign in the parking lot requests NO dogs on the trail because wanting to preserve the habitat for bobcats.