Big Split Rock Canyon

Big Split Rock Canyon is a 6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Desert Center, CA that offers scenic views and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible from November until February.

old growth

From the trailhead parking follow hike through the open canyon for approximately 1.5 miles until you see where the three canyons meet. The one on the left is the Big Split Rock. This canyon will get narrower and transition to a slot canyon. When you arrive and see the boulder that's around 50 feet diameter wedged on top of the canyon you will have discovered where the name came of this trail inspiration came from. Continue underneath that boulder for another 100-200 feet where the trail dead ends at the dry water fall.

Great trail for the entire family to explore. Ropes are challenging but the ladders are ok for the whole family.

Excellent trail for kids. Parking was a bit confusing but we managed to figure it out. We weren't able to make it all the way through as the canyon became too narrow for us all to squeeze through. We had fun exploring the other side canyons though!

Love this trail. My first time hiking through a slot canyon. Plenty for rock shuffling and climbing. It gets tight as further out. Only slender people will be able to sqeeze though. If you do get through, you'll come to a dead end - a dry fall. I was contemplating climbing up, but the opening is too narrow since a large rock is wedged just above the opening. I was worried it might come down on me if I tried going through the opening.

The other review of this hike said that the climax of this hike is a massive fallen boulder. This is not the Split Rock referred to in the book "140 Great Hikes in and near Palm Springs". The split rock is actually the narrow entrance before the dry fall, and is actually a fault line.