Big River Trail

Big River Trail is a 5.7 mile out and back trail located near Mendocino, CA that features a river. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, mountain biking, and canoeing. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

sea kayaking

I kayaked the Big River recently and it was fantastic! I saw more wildlife than I've ever seen on a single day trip, including river otters, harbor seals, and a wide variety of aquatic birds.

There are also remnants of the logging industry that existed there many years ago that provide some interest.

The trail that runs along the river seems to be an old road and is popular with bikers.

I paddled upstream for about 5 1/2 hours and got back in just 1 1/2 or so. In that time I saw two paddle boarders on the river and caught glimpses of a few riders on the trail. I was very surprised to see the harbor seals that far up the river, and had a great time watching the otters playing.

It was a cold and overcast day and I almost decided to skip this but went anyway and it was awesome!