Big Laguna Trail

Big Laguna Trail is a 13.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Cuyamaca, CA that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Take Sunrise Highway from I-8 (near Pine Valley) and drive north 13.5 miles to just past the second cattle guard on the highway. Vehicles should park on either side of the highway on the paved turnouts. The access to the Big Laguna trail is via the Nobel Canyon trail that departs the western turnout and is marked by a small sign. Follow the Nobel Canyon trail about 100 yards to reach the Big Laguna trail junction. Directions from Mt. Laguna, CA: The trail is accessed from Laguna Campground or Penny Pines parking area along Sunrise Scenic Byway.

Beautiful trail, lots of animals, really quiet, no water in the lagoon :( Lots of cows!

Biked this on an 82 degree sunny day on July 4 2016. There was nice breeze going so it felt like 75. Completed 10 miles by following the trails the follow the perimeter of the Big Meadow. I hit the trailhead from the El Pardo campground.
There was never a point that requird me to dismount from my mountain bike. It was nice and tight single track 90% of the time with only slight ascents and decents along the way. Good hiking or biking for the whole family. Nothing strenous about this trail. It's all about the wide-open beauty on this trip.

Great!

It was a beautiful day for a hike, high 60's, off and on light cool breeze, some shade on the east side of lake. Hiked 8 miles. Don't forget to bring enough water, it's close to 6000ft in elevation. Lots of pine trees, green this time of year, wildflowers, and the lake has some water. It had been "bone" dry for about 2years. One of my favorite hikes!

My husband, our 27 year-old niece and I went on this great 10.5 mile hike on this cold fall day. Amazing views of Anza Borrego and beyond. Didn't run into very many hikers throughout the entire hike. Stopped several times to admire the views and take pictures and a few times for snacks. Took us 4 1/2 hours total. Will be back, amazing place.

This is a nice hike, you can make it as long as you want. in my track I took a bunch of pics but it never came out exept for the last one. we had a good day. though we had to make it short because it was late and we had our almost 2 year old son,but all in all it was a good little hike.I sugest you read Afoot and Afield is a book about trails in San Diego.

It was beautiful! I went end of May and it was very cold. You never know if it is going to be warm or cold in the mountains though. It was also foggy, but the way the fog hit the prairie was gorgeous, I am going again in August with a bunch of friends. It is pretty flat and on the top of the mountain so it is good for all skill levels.

Beautiful hike on the day after Thanksgiving. It was sad to see that both lakes were dry but there was a puddle in one section. The trails are well maintained but there are a lot of bikers that can come around pretty fast and need to remember to yield to hikers. This is a great trail for geocaching too. I'd love to try it again after a snowfall.

Great hiking all year.

This hike is easy for any skill level. Very beautiful from start to finish. Be watchful for snakes, my fianc almost stepped on two of them within 15 minutes of each other.

Excellent hiking for the dogs!

One of my go-to hiking spots when I need to get out but don't know where to go. Beautiful in the winter with the snow, spring with the green grass and wildflowers, and even in the summer when the grass has dried because it's golden and the pines are still green. I've been in all three although the snow was when it was mostly melted but still many spots of it on the ground. It can be muddy then, but just dress appropriately and it's fun! Best time is to go early spring when the snow has melted but BOTH lakes are still full of water. A lot of reviewers don't mention "Little Laguna Lake" which is within sight of the campground. There will be a lot of ducks on the water and if you go on a sunny day the sky is and water are so blue.

My tracks (Laguna Lakes Loop) has more detail plus gpx!

This place is amazing! but unfortunately, many people know this also. Going during the spring season you are almost guaranteed to run into crowds of people, pets, and rangers. However, going off trail is an easy way to solve this issue. Most stay on trail because they lead you past both big and little Laguna Lakes, but there is a ton of other areas to see just away from all the people (get a topo map)
Free camping off kitchen creak rd (off sunrise hwy)
must have adventure pass to park anywhere inside Laguna Mountain Recreational Area.

p.s. don't be surprised if you get stopped by border patrol, they are all over out there.

Big Laguna Trail is one of SD county best from a recreationist point of view. It is a beautiful trail rounding the perimeter of Laguna Meadow, and Big Laguna Lake. Its great for a moderate work-out ride. The trail doesnt gain much in elevation but makes up for it in such a beautiful and enjoyable ride.

One of my favorite places to hike because it reminds me of the Cascade Mountains during the summer. When me and my friend went this past weekend it was a 10 mile hike around the meadow and lakes. It is really snowy during the winter so I wouldn't recommend hiking it during bad weather.

Don't go in the winter. Too much snow that is melted and muddy. Would be much better under better conditions. I'll be back this spring/summer.