Big Horn Mine Trail

Big Horn Mine Trail is a 3.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Valyermo, CA that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great hike...lots of ice on the trail so be prepared.

Really nice hike, the whole area is beautiful, slight incline going all the way up nothing difficult, kids use this trail, however there are several other trails right nearby if you want to get into something. Also the mine itself is a great bit of history, I saw about 6 deer while on the way up, really cool experience, watch from far away don't disturb them if you see some. One con to the area, nothing to do with the trail, people cant seem to handle the responsibility of waste disposal properly, so I would suggest putting a trashcan halfway up the trail for the lazy people trashing it up.

If you're a 5' 6 1/2" 280 lb man it's a little harder than easy but it was awesome none the less.

Great hike with awesome views. The mine at the end of the trail is a great destination.

One of the best hikes around hearer the trail is mostly flat with a slight elevation gain but there were a couple of spots that you have to be careful at. But over all a nice easy trail with great views. I really enjoyed this hike and would recommend it.

One of the best hikes I've ever been on! The trail itself is not strenuous: I'd classify it as an easy to moderate trail. The entire trail is that a fairly steady incline and can take a little while to acclimate to the elevation. Start early in the morning to beat the heat because there is not a whole lot of shade. Make sure to pack an extra strong flashlight if you want to actually go into the mine; the tunnels are pitch black, wet and very spooky. We traveled maybe 3/4 of a mile into the tunnels before they started splitting off into too many directions and we were worries about getting lost. Bring some kind of markers if you intend to really explore the tunnels. You can also explore the actual structure it's self, which overlooks the entire valley and it's a beautiful place to sit and have lunch.

I've been hiking this trail since I was young, finally took my three young kids it was a lot of fun kids had a blast , I would say it's a very easy trail with a couple tight areas but very doable

My wife and I picked this as our first ever hike. I loved it. Weather was perfect with a nice breeze. My wife has a fear of heights, so there are a couple of parts where the trail is a little washed out that pushed her to her limits. She pushed through and made it all the way back to the mine. I think if she had walking sticks that may have helped. She is already asking when we are going to try it again. For the most part as other reviews have said, it is pretty much an old road with just about five section or so that are a little sketchy, other than that, just about anyone can manage this one. I would recommend for anyone.

Nice trail not hard, a lil scketchy in some parts but doable, I had my dog. She was fine... 4.5 miles round trip . Some shady areas.. Very small creek by one mine... Jumping yellow grasshopper looking thingy n they make a zapping sound. Scared the shit out of me honestly...

Drone shots and footage of inside the mine taken about 2 weeks ago.

Awesome hike! My first time there today and absolutely loved it. Please make sure to get the adventure pass at Jensens (small town about 8 miles down) or REI before coming up. The trail was easy to follow and very rocky. There were definitely some areas where we had to slow down and watch our steps, but I do think it's manageable as long as you don't look down. Id say there are about 4-5 of these areas and they're fairly small. I have fear of heights and although i was tested a couple of times, I did just fine. I went with my husband and we took our dog. Because it was hot and windy, we had to carry our dog for more than half of the hike as he is small and just under 1. We saw others with dogs as well and they managed just fine. Make sure to take water (for you and your dogs) and sunscreen as it is an exposed trail. Please be careful on the trail as its full of rocks and it's easy to roll ankles! A must do!

It was a nice hike next to the pct trail. Why made it so much worth was exploring the mine, with my friends. We explored for about thirty minutes and the men kept going and going. Great hike for the family.

My family did this hike last wknd didn't know there's an actual mine u can craw into which was really neat. The walk there in mostly up hill but my 5yr old made it. Bring lots of water, good shoes and sunscreen.

My hike to Miner Vincent's Cabin and Big Horn Mine in the Angeles National Forest yesterday was quick and fun. I was able to find Vincent's cabin with no problems and also make it to the mine without any issues. The trail is pretty exposed so you are pretty much in the sun the whole time. The only thing that I was disappointed with was the amount of graffiti there was. If you want to read more about it visit my blog post at https://lovz2hike.com/2016/07/09/bighornmine2016/
Happy Hiking