Big Dalton Dam Trail

Big Dalton Dam Trail is a 2.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Glendora, CA that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Good hiking trail

short and to the point. best to walk the road and save the riverbed pathway.

Took the kids on a hike. Pretty kid friendly.

Great trails and scenery.

Kids friendly trails, flat hike mostly, not too much challenge but we had good walk

Easy trail to just get out in nature without much of a challenge. The road parallels the trail only a couple hundred feet away, but it's usually not visible unless cars are driving on it. There are picnic tables 0.3 mile from the start (or 1.7 miles if you turn around after a mile and stop on the way back like I did). I turned around a few hundred feet after the trail met the road since I don't like hiking on the road. This made it 2 miles round trip with 280 feet elevation gain.

If you're up for more of a challenge and have the time, hike to the top of the Mystic Canyon Trail (1.3 miles, 769 ft elev gain), down the Lower Monroe Trail/Road, left on Glendora Mountain Road and left on Big Dalton Canyon Road back to the start (3.2 miles), then out and back on the Big Dalton Trail for a total of 6.2 miles and 1,054 ft elev gain.

After reading other reviews and seeing references to "the dam," "several trails to choose from," "some steep sections," and "views" I think I should make it clear I started at the parking lot 1/2 mile from Glendora Mountain Road on Big Dalton Canyon Road. From the parking lot you can see the sign for Mystic Canyon Trail and after walking toward it, you'll see the sign for Big Dalton Canyon Trail on the right. From here I hiked a mile on the well-worn, well marked, shaded trail (with no views) for 1 mile, about 500 feet after it meets the road. It looked like just a road going up to the dam, so I turned around and returned to the parking lot.

It was a nice trail, lots of shade. I will definitely go back to do some of the other trails now that I got a map of the area.

More of a stroll than a hike, but nice enough if you want an easy walk. It hooks up with other trails that are more of a challenge and get you further off the beaten path. Too bad you can't hike past the dam and further. Big Dalton goes quite a way beyond this, but the thought of a $1000 fine gives one pause.
Also I had someone waiting for me after dusk to run me out and close the gate. He was nice enough about it, but it can be tough to finish a hike before dusk if you are knocking it out after work.

Really like this Trail. There are a few different trails to choose from. I did three of them so far and they were pretty good.

I hiked this trail a long time ago. I definitely remember it being a nice and easy trail. I would recommend this trail to anyone looking for an easy trail to do on a weekend morning.

Trail is easy to follow. Not crowded at all. Has some steep sections but fair for the most part. Once you reach the top there are several cyslists which are not mindful of hikers.

Trail was alright, though I would not recommend going in the summer. Mostly exposed with little by way of shade and breeze, I imagine it would be much nicer in cooler weather, and when the stream has water.

The provided trail maps were a bit confusing - it's not clearly apparent where entrances to the trails are. It's not the most exciting trail to hike, but there are some decent views of the lowlands along the way.

Very nice trail, pretty easy but nice when you follow the stream my huskies loved it. I am sure we will do it again

Wouldn't hike this again. Nor would I recommend to friends. The trail was highly overgrown and crossed paths with several of mother natures critters both live and dead. After fighting our way through the roughage for about 40 minutes we wound up on a paved road and a car driving by...turns out, we spent 40 minutes fighting though making a trail moving a snake from the path stepping around a decaying bobcat and we could have driven their in 5 minutes...my advice, hike the trails on the other side of the road.

My friend and I did this awhile back and have to say it was definitely one of our favorites. Love the sound of the water the minute you start doing the Big Dalton Trail. Can't go wrong w that! We also tried Upper Mystic Canyon and ran into a snake and some poison oak along the way. UMC- was a challenge and wish we could have continued to Pooped Out trail- farthest trail to your left when you reach the top of UMC.
Lots of other trails to venture when we have a little more time. :)

Cool place...we were over there just walking around and saw the dam. there was no water behind it just mud

We were hoping to be able to hike to the dam but it was closed off. As we were coming back down to the parking area, we found other trails to explore. Not well traveled but nice nature walks. The creek was a nice suprise.