EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Berry Creek Falls Trail

Berry Creek Falls Trail is a 9.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Boulder Creek, California that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

A strenuous loop that encounters picturesque waterfalls and beautiful redwood groves. From the Park HQ take the Skyline to the Sea Trail then return via the Sunset Trail. Long hike through old-growth redwoods to shimmering waterfalls is a Bay Area favorite. Redwoods and waterfalls make this the best hike in the San Francisco Bay Area. Veteran Berry Creek Falls hikers recommend a counter-clockwise loop starting on the Sunset Trail, turning left on to the Berry Creek Falls Trail, taking another left onto the Skyline-to-the-Sea trail, which returns to the trailhead.

Went Sunday 1/15 3 days after a heavy rainstorm. Trail was a bit muddy but not overly so. Some downed trees that needed to be climbed over. The trees are slippery so care is needed. Trail is not overly hard but does take 4-5 hours to complete with time for pictures. Most of the day is in the gulch within redwoods. The main fall is pretty but there isn't really a great viewpoint for DSLR photo taking. The brush and small trees are obstructing the falls slightly. There is a platform up close but not really the shot I wanted. It was very busy out there. Lots of people everywhere that had limited sense that other people are around them. A bit "loud" and hard to pass people on the trail. If you can come through the week. Tip: In the winter they close the parking kiosk. Go directly to the park HQ to get your parking permit.

This was a beautiful trail that has you hiking past three waterfalls, each more lovely than the last. As a caveat though, this was intense. We were absolutely exhausted after. We went clockwise and took us about 5.5 hrs with breaks to take pictures at the waterfalls.

Stunning after the recent storm.

This trail is awesome! My friend and I hiked it a few days after the huge rain storm we got the past week and a half. Trail was a bit muddy, but still comfortable to hike on. With all the rain, the waterfalls were so full and beautiful! Definitely a nice reward after some big inclines. Would recommend doing the loop clockwise. Took us about 4.5 hours to complete the loop, in which we took some short breaks to take pictures and eat.

Very long trails for the waterfall views, but beautiful. Would recommend going clockwise for a more gradual hike out at the end.

I loved this hike,but the hills are no joke!I did this hike counterclockwise and would recommend others to do it this way too because it saves the best waterfall for last.

Did the hike in just under 4 hours.

At least a 6 hr hike with taking photos... a number of water falls and some great scenes :) if raining be sure to wear hiking boots some parts of the trail was every slippery and soggy...

Really great hike. Started near visitor center and headed clockwise. The falls were beautiful and everything was so lush and green. Trail gets muddy near the last few miles so step carefully.

Absolutely amazing hike! So many wonderful trails in Big Basin. Berry Creek Falls is one of my favorite. Make sure you pay attention to trails, it can be easy to get lost. Worth the search!

Top 5 Hike in Bay Area - to find TH, look for tall red wood poll at first parking lot that says Redwood Trail - Follow the path you will run into trail. I went clockwise - at about 3.5 miles you will need to cross a stream bc the bridge is out - not that hard. The 1/2 mile before the Falls is amazing. In the back half of the hike was a little muddy and also need to climb under a tree - easy to do unless you are on a 10 mile hike. Trail was pretty quiet when I got there at 830 - when I got back to the parking area it was a mad house

Gorgeous hike today! The waterfalls were like firehoses and the forest was unbelievably covered in green moss and new growth. I'd recommend doing this hike between now and April for the waterfalls, but summer is great to escape the heat. As my friends and I descended into the low valleys by the creek, the temperature dipped as well, so be sure to wear layers! We decided to take Gazos Creek Road to do the last two miles of the hike since we were tired of hitting the little mud spots (added one mile to our trip). Total distance was 12 miles flat, and we did it in over 5 hours with lots of little picture breaks.

The three of us are in good shape to do hiking, so I'd definitely say it's a little bit on the strenuous side for somebody who doesn't hike, but it's not bad. If this is your first hike in a while, you will be sore the next day, but if you drink plenty of water before the hike, during, and after, you should be okay.

It is an awesome Hike. It is also called the Loop. I will not mark it Hard, its moderate.. no sudden or much elevation at a time. You gradually climb. Also, the elevation is not continuous.. uphill and downhill are pretty much alternate which keeps ur pace going. We did it clockwise, Skyline to Sea --> Berry Creek Falls --> Sunset Trail. Was able to do 4 miles till Berry Creek Falls in 1.5 hrs(my speed is moderate). The falls are worth visiting. The only problem i faced was Sunset Trail downhill.. my knees went bad.. therefore i finished it in 5 hrs.. otherwise easily doable in 4 hrs. Beautiful Hike..mus do..:-D

Do it backwards starting on the sunset trail.

I've done this trail a few times... it's a beautiful place... some steep parts and got a good workout out.. it's pretty trafficked on the weekends but your on your own for a good portion of it... and the waterfall well.. just beautiful

I'd put this at more moderate, but is absolutely lovely. Highly recommend clockwise so you're going up the stairs at the falls instead of down as well as having a more pleasant up and down for the second half of the hike rather than a final long steep uphill if you go counter-clockwise. Tons of mushrooms and banana slugs out today, and the waterfalls are all running nicely - take layers, you'll change through microclimates a bunch of times.