Bernardo Mountain Summit Trail

Bernardo Mountain Summit Trail is a 7.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Escondido, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great hike just off the I-15 in Escondido. Hike past Lake Hodges and up a mountain for views of the surrounding area. This trail is part of a network of trails from Coast to Crest so you can hike as long or as short as you'd like.

Excellent hike with panoramic view at the very top you can see the ocean in the distance on a clear day with the lakes and mountains nearby. Must go to the top!

This was an easy-moderate trail to hike, with many other options along the way to extend your journey. Great views from the top of the ocean, mountains, and all of San Diego County! Definitely going back!

This trail had some good variety. It starts off deceivingly easy on mostly flat trails until the last third where it's a bit more rocky and steep. From this starting point you get a mixture of paved, dirt, and rocky paths. You cross a little stream which was cool and have a few pretty lake views along the way and at the top. Excited to check out some of the other trails in this area!

Beatiful views at sunset.

I have hiked Coast to Crest a few times before, as I have just started hiking a few months ago. I finally decided to try this trail and I was surprised at how long it was and how I would think I was at the top but I still had like 5 more inclined switch backs. As a overweight gal just starting to do moderate hikes, this one was interesting. But once I got to the top, it was worth it.

I hiked this peak 20 years ago and decided to do it again. I'm so glad that I did! Great moderate hike. I even took my pup who did great, but got a little tired coming down the hill. So I took it easy on the way back down. Bring water and plan for a few hours. Great training hike!