Bear Canyon Loop Trail to Pigeon Spring

Bear Canyon Loop Trail to Pigeon Spring is a 6.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Lake Elsinore, CA that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Lake Elsinore, CA: Travel southwest on Highway 74 venturing into the mountains, then passing the Visitor Center / Fire Station in El Cariso. Proceed another 3.6 miles on Hwy. 74 to reach the trailhead. Parking is available at the San Juan Loop. (Trailhead is half a mile north of Upper San Juan Campground.)

Nice hike. Extremely well marked trails. Very enjoyable.

Kinda boring. Good walk especially as dog friendly.

Great hike with scenic views. We only did 3 miles but will be back and maybe make it to the peak

Nice hike. Not difficult. Do the loop to 4 Corners and back to parking and it's about 7 miles total.

Great hike!

The Bear Canyon Loop was a great trail! We spotted a horney toad on the trail! Definitely rocky so beware. Hiking poles are a good idea. We did the entire loop, I believe it was a little over 6 miles; 3.2 to 4 corners and 3.6 back to Ortega.

Great hike, the view from Sitton Peak is amazing. The trail was pretty moderate until the last park of the hike to Sitton Peak, that park is pretty intense but well worth it.

Good hike. This trail is listed as 6.4 miles, but I recorded it as 7.0 mi. We didn't go to the peak today since it was our first 6+ mi hike with our 13month old. Slight uphill climb pretty much the whole way to four corners. Mostly sand/dirt trail with the occasional patches of rocks. Trail was well maintained and clean. Ran into on party of hikers who reported sighting a rattlesnake in vicinity (within 0.25 mi) of four corners.

And the best part? We hiked at 1:00pm on a Sunday and only ran into three hiking parties the whole time!!! Definitely hitting this trail up again.

2750 mL of water was a good amount spilt between two adults, one toddler, and one German Shepherd.

Great, not so tough hike, with an awesome payoff peak. I have full hike info and turn by turn directions on HikingGuy dot Com.

Great trail for the family! Pretty much uphill all the way to 4 corners. Didn't head up to the peak today...maybe next time. Adventure pass is required!

Beautifully maintained trail all the way to four corners. Pigeon Springs which is near the end about a mile before four corners is a nice place to stop and eight. Once onto the Old Verdugo truck trail the hike flattens out and travels through thick woods of scrub oaks. Very nice hike.

Good hike! Great views at the top!

Just did the loop. Pretty mellow hike. Only real incline was in the beginning getting to the loop. Would have gone further to the peak if I wasn't battling blisters from a previous hike. Definitely one that I will do again. Many trails lead off of this one.

Great hiking trail here in Ortega mountain. Has great tree coverage and beautiful views of the surrounding valleys. Great for hunting and trail running.

Trail was a decent trail. Went end of March 2015 and the flowers were all out. Problem is there was a loud humming and buzzing of bees for most of the walk into 4 Corners. It got so bad at some points that I almost turned around and went back. Because of the bugs and bees I only went to 4 Corners and then back to trailhead. Didn't go to Sitton Peak. I can do that another time. Since I didn't go up to Sitton Peak when I got back to trailhead I just crossed the street and did the 2.6 mile San Juan Loop Trail which was actually pretty nice. Both hikes totaled 9.7 miles. Just a note, the Candy Store does not sell day passes anymore. They told me that the wardens will come around and put an envelope on your car and when you get home you put $5.00 in it and mail it in. When I got back to car, after 3 hours, there was no envelope. There is a good amount of shade on both trails but the tops are sunny and it was getting hot. Not a bad hike.