Beach Trail / Broken Hill Trail Loop

Beach Trail / Broken Hill Trail Loop is a 2.9 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near San Diego, CA that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

sea kayaking

surfing

beach

It should be stated that you have to pay a parking fee ($12-$15). Or you can park 2 miles away & walk up a steep hill to the trail head.

This is a regular for us here in Del Mar. Beautiful trails, obviously hot and not a lot of shade

Loved the views & the way the trails were marked

Beautiful trail. Excellent views and scenery. Easy going downhill that leads to a very pretty beach. Rough coming back up for me as I have very severe asthma. I was not in good shape at a couple of points because of the constant incline and no way to escape the direct sunlight. An easier alternative would be to park at the bottom lot and walk back to your car via the beach vs coming straight back up the hill.

Beautiful scenery! We took my 3 1/2 yo with us. She did fine until the middle up hill climb and needed a piggy back ride for some of it. We were fine with it and new this would happen beforehand. But I recommend leaving the toddler at home if you don't want to have to carry them for part of it. Or, if you need to take them just hike/walk the beginning and turn around and go back the same way before it goes down hill. It'll still be a beautiful view!

Very pretty cliffs & ocean. A little crowded. Would recommend parking at the bottom (main entrance) and hiking up the hill at the beginning, walking along the beach, and meeting up with your car at the end.

Beautiful trail. A little busy for mid week in winter

nice trail, very well marked, and wide enough to accommodate hikers and runners.

geocaching

One of the classic USA hikes. I have a slightly different route that's more of a 'best of' version on my blog:

Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful. The erosion that has shaped the landscape is bizarre and wonderful. The hike is easy. The view mid trail is gorgeous. You come to the end of a cliff which looks over the ocean and downtown la Jolla. We went back to continue the broken trail back to the road (road within the park) during a stellar sunset. We paid the $12 fee in order to be able to park at the top across from the museum and past guy Fleming trail. Otherwise if you park at the bottom it is a ass kicking walk up asphalt at an incline for almost 2 miles :) and that's before you hit a trail head. There are several trails to choose from and Torrey pines is big on conservation. No food allowed on trails.

The trails and view were beautiful. Going up Broken Hill was a little tiring. I recommend going down it! The beach was very nice, and you can walk far on it.

Hiked this trail for the first time today and it was a welcome change to the breezeless East County hikes I'm used to. Started at The Lodge, went past the golf course, then took the Broken Hill trail to the Beach Trail, then all the way back again. The golf course had signage saying golf parking only so I didn't risk it. I parked nearby on the street instead.

I hiked this trek with my 40lb daughter on my back in our Tula Carrier. The trail itself is a comfortable hike, but my added hitchhiker made it more challenging! The views were spectacular and the tidepools at the beach were a fun detour for my little one once we arrived at the sand.

Beautiful trail. Well maintained. We started at the golf course lot and walked directly to Broken Hill for a beautiful overlook. Instead of heading back up the loop, we turned left to where Broken Hill trail joins with Beach trail. The coolness of the beach was welcome after the heat of the trail. Coming back up the 800 foot elevation gain from the beach was challenging for this overweight middle aged woman but no problem for my fit 30 yr old companion. It is nice to hike with someone who challenges me. Full hike was about 5.5 miles according to fitbit and took us about 2 hours round trip including time to look at the anenome, snails, crabs and other tide pool critters at the beach.