Balch Park Trail

Balch Park Trail is a 20.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Springville, CA that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

it is a long drive up, but beautiful!

great for a day trip with your family

We pick wild blackberries along Bear Creek Road leading to Balch Park nearly every summer. We haven't been for about 6 years, so we thought we would drive through on our way to Ponderosa to see if there were any berries. I wasn't very optimistic about finding any, given the recent prolonged drought conditions and the late date, but I was pleasantly surprised to see the blackberries bushes were plenty. Unfortunately most berries were dried up or overripe, but persistence paid off with just enough berries in our buckets to make one batch of wild blackberry jam!

I recommend driving up no later than middle of August to harvest a good amount of blackberries at their peak of ripeness! Make sure to wear long sleeve shirts, long pants, close toe shoes and maybe even some latex/rubber gloves as protection against the vicious thorns in the bramble. You don't want thick or leather gloves because the berries are delicate and you will just squish them if you try to pick them wearing leather gloves.

I have a friend that to,d me once about her Balch Park Family camping tradition. They would drive up early enough to stop and pick a bag of blackberries on their way up. She would used them to make wild blackberry syrup and serve over their pancakes for breakfast on the first morning. YUM! What a tradition and what great memories! Something about the labor and pain needs to gather those blackberries just make the reward so much sweeter!

Fishing at Balch Park and picking wild blackberries has definitely been a family favorite!

Went this past weekend on opening day spent two nights it was freezing cold at night but worth the sights. My new favorite camping spot...

My family has been camping here since my dad was a kid. This place is wonderful and kid friendly. We usually spend our days bouldering the tule river, fishing in the pond/lake, walking the nature trail or just hanging out around the campsite. You can also drive a couple of minutes and see the Genesis tree which is the seventh tallest tree in the world. Highly recommend this campsite.