Badger Gap and Little Tenant Spring Trails

Badger Gap and Little Tenant Spring Trails is a 9.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Bakersfield, CA that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

off road driving

scenic driving

Directions from Greenhorn Ranger Station: Travel northeast on Oak Flat Lookout Road (County Road 465) for about thirteen miles. The trail begins 1 mile north of Oak Flat Lookout Road and Rancheria Road.

Beautiful hike!! Once you turn off on Rancheria Road it takes about an hour and 15 minutes to get to the trailhead because it's windy. When you are about 1.25 miles from the trailhead you'll see a sign for the Oak Flat Lookout. Keep going and you'll see the trailhead sign for Badger Gap. You have to just pull off to the side of the little side road to park on the grass. There's a picnic table and bench at the trailhead. The grass was pretty tall and covering the trail in several spots but you can see the trail up ahead so you just have to wade through the grass. The wild flowers and views are seriously breathtaking!

We went about an hour and 45 minutes out and then tuned around. I want to do the 5 miles to the Kern River Trail next time, when I have all day. We didbt seventeen else on the trail at all.

I did have to remove some ticks after the hike and there are tons of fox tails along the trail- so just be aware of those things.

This was a great workout- nothing too crazy but I could feel it in my legs on the way back which was a little more uphill.

I can't recommend this trail enough for a lovely day hike!

amazing view!

Great! Pretty steep.

Kinda steep for lugging a baby on my back. Very nice view though, especially the drive up.

The road to get here is horrid. Even in a 4x4 truck. I didn't even make it all the way to the trail. NEVER AGAIN!

I want to hike this trail, but I have no idea where to start. is there a parking spot, or side of the road parking type thing? Is there a sign saying trails starts here? please help. text me at 661.302.6977

off road driving

This trail is maintained by Stewards of the Sequoia volunteers on motorcycles. Over the past decade we have spent thousands of hours clearing brush, downed trees and installing water bars to make the trail more enjoyable for everyone. Sharing trails means more trails for everyone. Enjoy!!

We only did 3 miles, but a very nice trail. Easy to follow, no steep parts.

This was a real good trail even though it is a Mountain Bike and OHV trail I only met one Mtn bike rider the whole hike and it took me all day and well into the night to do this trail it is in good condition and is a must do when everything is green and the wildflowers are out.