Backbone Trail to Sandstone Peak

Backbone Trail to Sandstone Peak is a 3.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Malibu, CA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Directions from Thousand Oaks, CA: Travel US 101 / Ventura Freeway east to Highway 23 / Westlake Boulevard. Head south on Hwy. 23 to Mulholland Highway. Turn right (west) and proceed to Yerba Buena Road to reach Circle X Ranch. Park at Sandstone Peak Trailhead.

This trail was amazing! It is a bit challenging at some point but not hard. I took my little brother with me and he made it to the top. Views are amazing! I'm not kidding, they're just breathtaking. Loved the notebook at the top, so cute. Honestly I just loved it, can't wait to go back.

Loved this trail didn't complete it kid friendly if they are regulars at hiking, need to go back its been a while

The trail itself is rather boring but the view at the top is one of the best in Socal.

Nice quick hike with some great views..
A good sweat to the top..about 45 minutes..
I had the whole place to myself!!

Great views of the ocean and mountains from the top. Very popular trail, but a fun one as well.

This hike is a short one, but seems a lot longer. We started from the Mishe Mokwa trailhead. The whole hike is pretty steep. At points the trail is full of loose rocks. Make sure you’re wearing sturdy shoes with good ankle support. There is not a lot of shade until you get farther up the trail. I would consider this hike a moderate to upper moderate level purely because the steepness and the trail condition being so loose. But don’t let that deter a more novice hiker. Just take your time. Once you reach the Mt. Allen peak, elevation 3111ft, you get to experience what the hike is really about. A beautiful 360 degree view of everything! From the ocean to the steep valleys. When at the peak, find the elevation marker and inside the marker is a notebook you can sign. Have fun!

We planned on hitting Circle X but continued on and found ourselves here. We didn't know it was a "difficult" hike. At any rate, the views were stellar! Amazing 360-degree gorgeous views of canyons and the ocean. It's a steep hike up for which seems like forever but it totally pays off at the end. We did go on a weekend, and although we saw other groups, it didn't feel crowded at all. The length of the hike isn't long, but due to the steepness of the trail, allow some extra time for rest and enjoying the view as you go along the trail.

It was an extremely rewarding trail. Just the drive through these mountains was terrifying for me, I don't do well with curves, deep valleys & narrow roads. The trail itself, I started around 8:30 & was at the peak by 9:50. I took my time, there wasn't much foot traffic at the this time on a Friday. I did the loop on the way down so I was at the car around 11ish. This was the time most were starting their hike, so I was glad I started early. The views of the Santa Monica peaks, the various homes, & the Pacific Ocean are astounding. All the reviews are right bring at least 3 liters of water, the semi steep but very loose rock trail does drain a bit. Great trail, not too physically demanding. You'll definitely enjoy the views!

Huge expansive views when you get to the top. About 45 minutes from the parking lot to the peak.

Nice winding Trail. Very peaceful

Great! It was a bit cloudy when I went but man was the view amazing!

Gorgeous views especially at sunset

Excellent steep trail. Didn't see one mountain biker on an early November Sunday morning. Easy to follow signage. Did the 3 mile out and back. Misha Mokwa is next on list.

Great! Good shady areas when your hiking mid day...