Baboon Lakes

Baboon Lakes is a 13 mile out and back trail located near Bishop, CA and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from July until October.

13.0 miles 2000 feet Out & Back

Started out on the trail with the destination of the Baboon lakes as my primary goal for the day. The trail was very straight forward and quite moderate as I climbed up towards and past Blue Lake. Just beyond Blue Lake there is a trail junction for Donkey Lake and Dingleberry Lake, I proceeded forward towards Donkey Lake. A bit further up the trail was another junction leading to the left for Donkey, Again I proceeded forward. About 1/2 mile further the trail becomes much harder to follow and I had to carefully scout out for rock cairns to keep my forward progress. After awhile longer I came to the realization that these cairns i had been following were not leading me to my intended destination and I decided to give up on Baboon Lakes. From my most forward progress I began moving towards the left to the upper reaches of Donkey lake, from there I walked along this very pretty lake to the trail that leads back to the main trail. I had intended to load the topos for this area on to my GPS unit but forgot in my rush to get going on my trip. If you intend on trying this hike having a topo map or a GPS unit with them loaded is a must. After leaving Donkey lake I hiked back to the trail junction and on to Emerald and Dingleberry lakes. This section of trail was very nice and easy to follow and would be recommended for someone who is not up for the challenge of route finding their way to Baboon Lakes. All said I did enjoy the scenery this trail has to offer.
Total trail miles was 15 with an elevation gain of 3,000 ft.