Avery's Pond via the Pioneer Express Trail

Avery's Pond via the Pioneer Express Trail is a 7.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Newcastle, CA that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Easy hike but wasn't much of a view

My 3 boys went with me, stopped n watched turtles ate lunch then headed back. Great time!

It is easy to hike but don't try to hike down the pond. It is a little hiking to get back up if you do.

Tics everywhere. Pulled about 8 off my dog. Not worth the hike.

The trail to Avery's Pond was a nice easy hike. Not many people on the trail today. Most of trail was shaded. Lots of poison oak like others mentioned. Pond area is peaceful. Great day hike for any level hiker.

There is no parking at the trailhead. You can park on a side street a few blocks west. There is a lot of poison oak so beware. It is well shaded with lovely views of the lake. After you pass the boat launch, the trail is easy to confuse. If there isn't a lot of horse poop, you are on the wrong trail. It is the Pony Express trail so it has horses on it often.

Decent hike and nice pond at the end. There's not much to see on the hike, and the trail is pretty narrow for the most part. Keep an eye out for poison oak! The pond is nice and looked like it would be great for fishing, but my friends and I walked right over to the lake where there was a great spot to stop and swim. The water was perfect. There was also a parking lot about halfway along the trail, so if you want an easier hike or want to fish you could halve your distance. Good trail overall, the lake is always close and there are plenty of paths leading to it.

Beautiful! We loved the pond and turtles!

I love this trail.

I'm really not sure what all the other people were talking about when they said this place was hard to find. I was bike riding with my iPhone's gps and rode miles to get there but had no trouble whatsoever finding the entrance. It's just at the end of a dead end street. The trails are pretty nice but quite narrow. There is quite a bit of horse poop as others said but that's really no biggie at all considering you're in the nature.

I went for hiking. There was no parking so I had to park about 3 blocks away. There was a good amount of horse poop on the trail and I also got lost several times as there are no signs and many forks on the trail.

Overall good hike, great scenery but would not go again

I could find no where to park the street was posted no parking

There last weekend. Wild flowers everywhere. Haven't seen this area so lush in years.

Beautiful in the spring. Lots of shade to help keep you cool

great hike. took our 3 year son on it. there's picnic benches when you get to avery pond. the only negative about it is you have look out for all the horse droppings. to get to it, park at rattlesnake bar.

Easy hike through some beautiful scenery prolific with flora and fauna. Butterflies were abundant and even saw some turtles in the pond. Great views of Folsom Lake. An extremely easy, low key hike but perfect due to the amazing scenery this time of year. Note: you can no longer park in the dirt area or along side the road before the entrance to the park. They have now installed no parking signs everywhere do you have no choice but to pay the $12 parking fee. No worries though as it was well worth the "price of admission"!

We started at the State Park entrance at Rattlesnake Road, because the app directions take you to a trailhead in a neighborhood that has little to no public parking. This did take about three miles off the hike, which was disappointing. Still, very beautiful, especially during spring. Lots of wildflower and wildlife activity.

Awesome. We ran out and around the pond and it was 8 miles for us--parked down the street-easy access to the trail-loved it!