Catalina Island: Avalon to Pebbly Beach to Trans Catalina Trail

Catalina Island: Avalon to Pebbly Beach to Trans Catalina Trail is a 14.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Avalon, CA that features beautiful wild flowers. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking and trail running.

beach

I did this solo very early the morning after St Patrick's day in 2006 when my brother got married on Catalina. I woke up at daylight and couldn't get my son to go so just took off on Pebbly rd until I found a trail. Strangely no one around until I got to the Trans Catalina Trail and then there were lots of people running. Unknown before I started my little journey I had hiked into a Marathon Route. I gave all the runners plenty of room so no one minded. I eventually came upon some race officials but there was simply nowhere else to go. It was a fantastic hike with incredible breath taking views and difficult climbs. I actually ended up with a participants medallion later that night that I won in a pool game at one of the little local bars. Strange but true. My son really got a kick out of that one...