Atascadero Cemetery Loop

Atascadero Cemetery Loop is a 0.7 mile loop trail located near Atascadero, CA. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking.

very cool find, what exactly are those white things stacked here and there in the heat?

I found the trailhead behind a gate inside the cemetery. There is a dirt turnout there, suitable for parking. The beginning of the trail is a nice path with a moderate rise. Soon the trail breaks into at least three directions. I chose to follow the path on the far right, that went uphill. This path appears to be an old asphalt drainage channel. It was pretty steep at the start and got steeper. There were times I thought I might keel over backward. But you have to remember that I am large, fat, slow, and do not have great balance. Others might even be able to run up this trail. When I got near the top there were again two choices. I chose the path to the right because it was less steep, and got to the top soon after. Nice views of Atascadero from there. I started down the continuation of this path, not sure if it would eventually end at the cemetery. I could not tell for sure, so I turned around and returned the way I came. Next time I go on an unknown trail I will remember to bring a topo large enough to figure these things out.