Arthur Ripley Desert Woodland State Park: Ripley Nature Trail

Arthur Ripley Desert Woodland State Park: Ripley Nature Trail is a 0.5 mile out and back trail located near Lancaster, CA. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking.

0.5 miles Out & Back

Basically forgotten about little location. The gates are never open, but you can easily park on the side of the road and walk inside. The trails are poorly maintained and narrow so it is VERY easy to stray from the intended trail and find yourself turned around for awhile. Nonetheless, the entire property is surrounded by a fence and you will eventually locate the trails again if you keep walking. Also, the area is extremely clean with very negligible amounts of litter. The ground is flat so it is extremely easy for beginners. There are picnic tables at the entrance as well as trash bins and a porta potty which is fairly well maintained.
I walk these trails every year around the Spring and Fall. It is my first hiking location so I am rather fond of it. It is a nice place to go out and simply become lost in the desert as you are unable to hear nearby traffic and it is far away from the city. You can make the hike as long or as short as you want.
I wouldn't advise arriving during snake season because the trails are too narrow in places to avoid a rattler. However, I will admit in all of the years I have been coming here I have never encountered a snake.
Lots of desert plants, small critters, and a probable chance of spotting a coyote. I bring my dogs and never run into a single soul. Personally I give it 5 stars but when compared to other places there isn't a lot to see to be honest.