Art Smith Trail

Art Smith Trail is a 12.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Palm Desert, CA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until October.

From the Hike Palm Desert map obtained from the Palm Desert Visitor Center: Turn south from Hwy. 111 onto Hwy. 74. After approximately 4 miles turn right and park at the trail head across from the Santa Rosa San Jacinto National Monument Visitor Center on the left of the highway.

I wish I had more time to explore. I went for 1/3 of the whole route. But still was a great work workout and amazing view. It was totally worth of every step!

I only did about 2 miles of this 12 mile trail on my first outing but I really enjoyed it. It is well marked and a good workout. The initial start is uphill for maybe 5+ minutes but then it levels out with intermittent small hills.

Great lovely views. Went 3 miles in saw 3 oasis

Great views of the valley with decent climbs and vistas.

Awesome!! Hiked 6K out and jogged 6K back early Saturday a.m. Sunrise and great time with my son Max (11). On Monday did 5 and 5 with my wife Lori. My running partner, and then life partner!!! Loved both.

Beautiful views and vegetation, relatively challenging incline at the start but much easier as it progresses.

Love this trail but want others to know it is clearly posted: dogs are NOT allowed. Bringing a dog on a "no dog" trail can result in a ticket with fines up to $300. Apparently this rule is in place to help protect the bighorn sheep in the area. They don't want them to get used to the smell of canines/coyotes, which would be especially hazardous to baby sheep.

This Hike continues onto Dunn Road and ends up in Cathedral City for a Uber ride back to the trail head off of Hwy 74. It is about 14 miles all together.

Good workout! Awesome views did 6 miles out and turned back. By next time I'll probably try to continue to Murray canyon. Over all my favorite hike so far.

Solid dawn hike. Get there early for sunrise. Super accessible, well marked and well maintained.

It was warm. Needed all our water, 10 liters for two people. Hiked from trail head on Hwy 74 to Dunn Road and out. Used Über to get back to our car. Pretty much an all day adventure.

Great views!

Fantastic. Hiked this many times---always great.

Great hike! A must if you're in the area and enjoy a good workout!

Bring sunscreen! No shade on trail!

Really beautiful hike! Very peaceful. Take the time to acknowledge all the beautiful plants. Many lizards during the summer ! Haha best time to do is when the sun is setting. Easy hike!

Great trail! Not a speck of trash. Steep beginning, followed by moderate continual climbing. Trail surface was outstanding, not technical by my standards. Great views of valley a far and desert plants up close. Great Ocotillo, Barrel Cactus, and many others. We picked a rare cloud covered day in May and were actually cool when not climbing. The first small palm oasis is in about 2.5 miles and the second is in about 3 miles. Do not stop at the first thinking this is it, the extra half mile leads to some really nice examples of healthy desert oases. One mile further and you reach Dunn Road enjoying panoramic views of the valley.

I'm 52 years old, and this hike made me feel all of my 52 years. It was 82 degrees F (according to my car's thermometer) and I felt it all. I did see plenty of lizards (no snakes), a burrowing owl, a roadrunner, and plenty o' desert flowers. A very nice hike!