Arroyo Seco Trail

Arroyo Seco Trail is a 20 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Altadena, CA that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Chingon

Mostly shade with crossing of small streams!

The description above states that this is a 20 mile moderate hike. However, the group I went with today took the cutoff to Paul Little camp ground and the trail ended at a man made dam/waterfall, which is less than half that distance round trip, and it is an easy fairly level trail.

After years of being a couch potato, I started hiking again only about a month ago, and have bad knees and bad back, so the group pace was a bit fast for me. The furthest I had gone previously was 5 miles, so I thought the touted 7 mile round trip would be a sizable jump for me. However, it turned out that from my car in the middle of the lot till I got back to it exactly 4 hours later is, according to my pedometer app, 9.7 miles, which was a huge jump for me. Granted that towards the end my steps were probably getting a bit shorter, but I still guesstimate that the distance was probably between 9 and 9.5 miles. Probably closer to 9.5. I figure that I was at least 20 minutes behind the group, since I got a text about 15 minutes before I got to the car, from one of my carpoolers that they were taking Uber.

I highly recommend this trail for beginning hikers and those like me who have injuries. I also recommend that they go at their own pace rather than trying to keep up with a group of people, unless that group consists of equally slow hikers. I wish I could find a group like that.

Nice walk.

Rocky in places, but so beautiful. It was so refreshing to see, hear, & smell the wetness of the streams. Glad I brought water for my husband, myself & for the dogs. Dogs love the hike. We are in our 70's & felt it was mostly an easy hike. We go usually on the week days. Much less crowded.

Challenging if you forget to bring water, and some snacks.

nice... good for bikes as well...definitely will go back. love the river, not so much water but beautiful sound..

Cool hike that I didn't find to be too crowded. my son enjoyed it, and the scenery changed enough that it was diverse enough. We actually backpacked into Golden Mesa, setup there and hiked to the "waterfall". it was pretty nasty... the kids all ran under it, but it looked like it was just a runoff and the whole cement wall was covered in algae.

Not very scenic, and as a hiker you have to be very alert and aware of bikers coming fast down this narrow, windy trail. I probably wouldn't do this one again.

Good

fun easy dog hike, lots of stream crossings

Great area

Heavy rain day, but that was fun, this trail has everything. 4 stars.