Arroyo Seco Trail

Arroyo Seco Trail is a 20 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Altadena, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

6 minutes ago

My family and I did about 2 miles of this, ages 8 & 9 and grandmother. Easy walk by a stream, however, we went after the rain and it was like a river. The river actually made it impossible to pass at the 2 mile mark without getting wet up your knees. So we turned around. Can't wait to come back

My 4 kids and I went up with our mountain bikes and had a blast. Definitely loved the terrain. Water streams strong and high thanks to all the rain. So be ready to get wet and push through.

Chingon

Mostly shade with crossing of small streams!

The description above states that this is a 20 mile moderate hike. However, the group I went with today took the cutoff to Paul Little camp ground and the trail ended at a man made dam/waterfall, which is less than half that distance round trip, and it is an easy fairly level trail.

After years of being a couch potato, I started hiking again only about a month ago, and have bad knees and bad back, so the group pace was a bit fast for me. The furthest I had gone previously was 5 miles, so I thought the touted 7 mile round trip would be a sizable jump for me. However, it turned out that from my car in the middle of the lot till I got back to it exactly 4 hours later is, according to my pedometer app, 9.7 miles, which was a huge jump for me. Granted that towards the end my steps were probably getting a bit shorter, but I still guesstimate that the distance was probably between 9 and 9.5 miles. Probably closer to 9.5. I figure that I was at least 20 minutes behind the group, since I got a text about 15 minutes before I got to the car, from one of my carpoolers that they were taking Uber.

I highly recommend this trail for beginning hikers and those like me who have injuries. I also recommend that they go at their own pace rather than trying to keep up with a group of people, unless that group consists of equally slow hikers. I wish I could find a group like that.