Alviso Slough Trail

Alviso Slough Trail is a 9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Alviso, California that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

beach

don't go when it's hot. no shade anywhere. if you walk around right there are signs everywhere that say the area is closed. but if you go left from the parking lot there are no signs at all.
bring lots of water.no places to rest or go to the bathroom except at the parking lot.. it's about a good 4 mile walk if you follow the circle.

Beautiful!

Muddy... Also, didn't know that it would be hunting season until the end of the month...I was startled when two men shot at some birds flying by. I was surprised as to how close they were allowed to be to the pedestrian path... Those bullets have got to come down at some point:(

Wonderful, make sure you go around sunset so you can walk out and see the sun set over the hills and reflect in everything. Lots of mud so don't go when it's just rained !!

A relatively easy semi-long distance hike due to no real elevation changes. We did it twice and once you are past the "stinky' section, its quite peaceful and lots of birds! Since it is a loop, I recommend going counterclock along the New Chicago Marsh to get past the stinky section and return along Guadalupe River.

It's not the most beautiful place to hike... It's very rough and stunk... But if you are creative, the landscape feels like another planet.

Just back from this trail. I loved it. I did it as a solo walker - like some others on here - my longest 'real outdoor' walk. There are no signs once you are on the trail so I did get the feeling initially that I was walking to San Fransisco! Firstly, it's flat, which for me is something of a treat. Secondly, despite not being the slightest bit interested in birds, I was amazed at the variety that was there. I think I saw an albatross but I could be wrong. I was there when the gates opened about 8am and the whole loop took me about 2.5 hours.

My mistakes: I didn't take sunscreen because I assumed the bay would be fogged out. It wasn't. Also, consider a hat. There is no shade (not that I was expecting any) and take plenty of water; if the sun is high in the sky, you really don't want a sunburnt head or a bit of the old sun stroke.

Apart from the muted honk of the Amtrak trains and the airport, it was silent apart from the birds. Don't do this walk if you have ever been scared of Hitchcock's 'The Birds'. There were two enormous crows that seemed to be following me, and several hissy geese. For the most part, the gulls just appeared mildly perturbed that I had interrupted their breakfast and I felt incredibly apologetic when interrupting the copulation of various ducks. About 3/4 of the way round there is a big old chunk of wood that's perfect for a bit of a sit down.

For me, I'd have liked it cooler, but the walk was gorgeous and I will be doing it again. Plus - 9 miles before lunch - result!