Alta Peak Trail

Alta Peak Trail is a 12.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Sequoia National Park, CA that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until September.

Not for the Sherman Tree trail walkers!
Wonderful views of the Great Western Divide.
The last 2 miles were definitely the crux. Winds picked up on the last slog up the side and made for a brisk and brief time on top but the view is epic. No need to do the Pear Lake trail, you can see it down below. ;)
Since it was late October I only ran into two other people. Very quiet and serene the entire day out. I clocked around 6 hours total.

Couldn't have asked for better weather and the scenery is beautiful. That being said, maybe it's the time of year, but it seems to be the drought has wreaked havoc on our forests here in California. This was my first time climbing something over 10k and I feel great about it! Definitely not for the first time hiker if you aren't in the best of shape. It did take me the full 8 hrs to get to the peak and back. Maybe my Fitbit was off, but it registered 17 miles start to finish.

Went out to Sequoia for some trail running and a small hike. I couldn't find the trail on the permit guide and decided to hike Alta Peak for the altitude. I was not expecting to see the wonders this trail has for the eyes. The hike up to the summit trail head was pretty relaxed with nothing too intense. I set up camp in the fog that was lingering all day. At about 5pm the fog cleared and showed the ridge and gave me a clear view of how much elevation I still had to scale. Flurries of snow fell as the night continued. It was about mid to low 30's and 4am when I woke to break camp and start the traverse. The hike around the rear to the mountain was pretty exhausting and one must be careful with footing. I reached the base to the last half mile of the trail and was met by more fog and wind. My calves were in overdrive at this point and finally reached to top. I set my bag down and grabbed my bagel and bouldered to the top to enjoy second breakfast. The fog dissipated on my journey back and was left in awe of what was covered the day before. I couldn't help but take lots of pictures on the way back. Happy hike.

I really like doing this hike during the summer when the there is no snow. The downside is the heat but staying hydrated and finding shade to rest is good. It is true what people say... Views are amazing and the last few miles are a bit tough. So hydrate a few days before that way you won't need to much water the day of. I have done this hike with less than 2liters and a few snakes.

This is one of my favorite hikes, I live close enough to the trail head that I have managed to do this trail a few times.

Loved this hike! It's challenging but the views are gorgeous. There's also lots of shaded areas so it doesn't feel too bad even on a warm day. Those last couple miles are killer but worth it!

We had a very nice hike/run. Altitude was challenging to say the least but well worth it! Am looking forward to doing it again!

Just like other posts, the last mile with elevation kicks your butt! The view is well worth it!......The ranger in the area hiked up from pear lake and she told us it was possible to rough it down and connect to the lakes trail, so, we did! Knocked out both in one day!

This is a great hike, with great views. Our GPS showed it was 7.1 miles up and down from the parking lot, so 14.2 total.

We got up in 2:31 and down in 1:43. It was my first hike over 6 miles or 7000 feet, so if you are in decent shape, you can get it done in 4 to 5 hours.

Incredible views.

Great trail, fun trip to the summit, definitely worth crossing off your list!

Amazing!!

The most beautiful

Great Day for a hike with my kids!!!!!

Easy and beautiful views l was here on sep 2015 and i will be here tomorrow 3-26-2016 againg yeahhhh!!!!!!

Alta Peak was a heart-pounding, butt-kicker of a trail with a great view at the end. It took me about 10 hours to finish the hike due to my taking pictures along the way and spending an hour at the peak. The amount of elevation gain (~2000 ft) over the last two miles coupled with the thin air at the last section to the peak made it torturous and unforgettable. The rest of the way was relatively easy.

Bring trekking poles because some parts are very steep with loose rocks. Make sure you carry enough H2O or a filter (there are several water sources along the way). I brought and drank all of my two liters. Lastly, it's not a very shady trail so wear a hat!

I'd go again if I needed a good workout but other than that there are prettier trails to hike.

It was a very strenuous and brutal hike. We started at 7:15am from Wolverton. The views were spectacular! Once we hit the last 2 miles, it was very difficult. We found ourselves stopping every 50ft to just take a break due to the elevation and incline. The last mile was rocky. My sister and I aren't in the best shape, but we definitely have endurance. I do recommend at least conditioning and training your body for a hike like this. But I believe no matter how good in shape you are, it is still a killer hike. We got to the peak by 1:30pm and spent about 35 minutes up there before we started heading back down. Now, the peak or I should say the top of the rock where the little green box is, it's sitting on the very edge of a tiny slanted rock. I was able to get to it and sign our autograph :-) You literally have to climb and hold on for dear life. Was able to see Pear lake from the top cliff of the peak and the western divide! The wind was getting strong. So we started heading back down at 2:10pm and got back to Wolverton 5:45pm. Overall, it was a great hike!

This was a very strenuous day hike thanks to the 4000 feet of elevation gain, 2000 of which are gained during the last 2 miles. The views from the top of the peak are beautiful and you can see the Great Western Divide as well as Pear and Heather lakes. I am a 20 year old female and this was my first time summiting a mountain. I would not recommend this hike for those who are not acclimated to higher elevations.

Gradual up hill through woods for three miles. Came face to face with a bear
Next three miles takes you across side of mountain. Mix of rocks and tree cover but with spectacular views of the mountain range.
Last mile or so is very steep and barren. The sandy and rocky trail with the thin air is very hard going
Views from the top are worth it. In late May there was still patches of snow. It was cool And sunny with light breeze.
met a group of campers at the top. Only saw one other hiker all day