Abeja Loop Trail

Abeja Loop Trail is a 3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near San Marcos, CA that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Also known as Bee Loop. Nice loop in the backyard of Santa Fe Hills in San Marcos. The views are great. It is the perfect morning or evening hike. The trail is also used for mountain biking. First follow the end of Las Posas Road and continue on to the trail on the right side which leads you to a trail crossing. Turn to your right and pass the lake. Climb the first hill and continue on the trail. Then at the small downhill section keep right and climb the hill. Stay on the trail and enjoy the nice views. At the top of the hill stay left and begin the steep downhill section which leads you to a little grass field. After the grass field continue to hike uphill until you merge back on the original trail you were coming from.

Good workout. I was in the area & glad I did it, but not sure I would do it again if I wasn't nearby. The "lake" is more of a pond. Nice views from the top, but very loose rocks heading down (I went up on the South side & down on the North side), do it took me longer to get to the bottom vs going up.

Use your trail tracker if you're not sure where to go. There's a lot of side trails and no signs.

I recommend going up and down the right side of the loop. The left side was very steep and rocky, so it's hard on the knees if you take it in the way down.

Beautiful views. I was quite confused where the trailhead is. However, I managed to do a loop starting on Las Posas. I parked my car at Las Posas and Via Artista. I walked up the first trail I saw on the left on Las Posas, and then took right turns to end up at Las Posas park. Then I walked down Avd Abejo till I found my car! It was gorgeous weather. Bring a lot of water! I was on the trail about 65min. I would say this trail is intermediate. There are uphill parts but not for long and nothing too steep. Have fun! I enjoyed it!

Some good hills/pumps dirt and asphalt surfaces. A nice nature trail with nature views while tucked in a nice neighborhood.

This was an unexpected fun one. Very steep and what must go up must come down...very steep going down too. Cool to see it connects up with the P trail.

This trek is not for the weak at heart! I am new to tie area and had no idea where I was headed. Managed to go down there path and veered up to these right. There is a strenuous uphill hike about 1.5 miles. Make sure to stay to the right when you hit them first fork. At their summit you are provided beautiful views of San Marcos and the oceanfront. Follow the summit turns left. It will eventually spit you down a steep declining hill, back around some bushwhacking areas, back up for a while, then to the main loop trail from earlier and finally back down and out. Bring ample water! No traffic on this trail when I went. Beautiful views!

My dog and I got to the neighborhood about 9:30AM. It was already pretty warm and thankfully there a few shady spots for her to rest. There are many trails around here so you could make different loops and explore a bit more. I parked in the neighborhood by the stop sign and walked on the path until the trail started.

Perfect length for a morning or evening workout hike. I love the views and the steep uphill sections.