Tea Kettle Falls Trail

Tea Kettle Falls Trail is a 2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Huntsville, AR that features a waterfall. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking.

old growth

The waterfall is a unique 46 ft. tall waterfall that has eroded a vertical hole in the rock bluff and then turned horizontally, creating a small cave, before emerging through the rock face below the top of the ridge. Thus the name Tea Kettle Falls. Best seen during spring or late fall when there is more chance of rain. Because this trail is faint, and is more of a bushwack, this is more specific directions to the falls: head across the field to the south side of the creek, follow the creek down hill, at about one mile you will see the first drainage (Reynolds Hollow) on your left, (there is a nice little waterfall a short distance up stream), continue past Reynolds Hollow to the next drainage, (you should be able to hear the falls if the water is up), turn left, cross the creek, and head up the drainage about 100 yds to the falls. Return the way you came

Tea Kettle Falls is more unique than the more popular Glory Hole Falls. Beat to go in winter or early spring when the ground is saturated.

Great hike, especially if you take the jeep road route that takes you to the top of the falls. Couldn't get down to the bottom tho. Water wasn't flowing but it still made for unique sights on the falls. Is tricky to find, just have to pay attention to signs on the way up. Going back through the bushwhack trail when it rains more.

Beautiful hike but a little tricky to find.

Apple maps will take you to the wrong place, however Google maps will get you right there.

Easy hike with a bunch of water features including multiple waterfalls and springs. You must go after it rains. Tea Kettle Falls will dry up and stop running during periods of little rain. There was a well traveled trail when I went late winter. You can also follow the creek about 1 mile to the waterfall on the left. You know you're getting close when you come across a rock bluff that covers the creek some.

Definitely was a nice little hike. Very pretty, especially the crystal clear water!!!! Finding the Falls was kinda tricky but just follow the creek. Tea Kettle Falls just had a little trickle of water coming out, but Reynolds Falls was flowing nicely! I would do this trail again if I for sure knew that Tea Kettle was flowing. None the less it made for a nice day adventure! Jen York's post was super helpful.

It was pretty but we could find the trail so we were not able to find the water fall. nothing mark and it is way over grown. would be easy to get lost. We won't go again which is sad.

The road to the trail is quite difficult to find but if you follow Jen York's(her review is below) directions you will find it with no problem. The road is very steep but manageable in a car. We just walked the creek rather than looking for a true trail. The water is crystal clear and beautiful. We found Reynolds Falls and it was beautiful with a pretty pool below it. You have to pay attention to be able to find the Reynolds Falls (again Jen York's review will guide you). Loved it!

My brother and I did this hike yesterday. We walked up the creek in order to stay off the trail where we were picking up ticks like crazy. If you decide to walk the creek, prepare to get wet. It was shin deep most of the way with some areas getting knee and almost waist deep. It was worth it though, with us finally seeing Tea Kettle Falls in its full glory! Reynold's Falls was flowing with some authority as well.

Trail is horribly overgrown I suggest taking the creek but you will get wet, very very wet. Awesome area as long as you avoid the trail option, this year the trail should not be an option at all. Found remnants of a deer kill that was mostly eaten but some meat left on the leg bones. Beautiful crystal clear water but high during rainy season. Difficult is an understatement but well worth hiking again with or without the falls.

The directions from All Trails took me right to the field that I needed to park in. I have signed up for buffalo river water levels through usgs.gov and it had a level of 12.08 ft. That was the news I was waiting for, all the waterfalls in the area were flowing great. I walked right by it like a lot of others, I turned around disappointed, and then I found it. I'm glad I did! The pictures I uploaded were of the falls and the bluffs right before the falls, 90 and 91. One more thing, walking through the creek was by far the best option. Where I got out to walk around fast flowing areas is where I needed to be on the other side to go to both falls, and I was chewed up by the stinging nettle and thorn vines everytime I was out of the water.

Beautiful day for a hike! We walked the creek bed because a couple guys who had just walked the trail told us that the ticks were out and biting. Reynolds Falls was flowing but we never found Tea Kettle Falls because we didn't know exactly where it was. When we got home I opened Google Earth and found where we made our mistake. We apparently walked right past the little turn off to the north that would have led us right there. Instead, we came to a fork in the creek and followed it for another quarter mile until we realized we weren't going to find it. I have uploaded a map that I made using Google Earth to hopefully make this find easier for others!

Walked this trail again today with my brother. Great hike like always. Was hoping Tea Kettle Falls was flowing today after the rain. Unfortunately, it wasn't. Try again another time!

I have been hiking to Kettle Falls for 40 years and live in the area. The falls are known as Kettle Falls, not Tea Kettle Falls. The Kettle family settled the area in the 19th Century. It is important to get the name right to maintain credibility.

Just finished hiking this trail and unfortunately Tea Kettle Falls is not flowing right now. It was barely dripping but Reynold's Falls was flowing. This is a great trail if you enjoy hiking along a creek and without any markers. I chose to stay on the creek rather than on the bank because of all the overgrowth. The worst part about this trail is trying to find it to begin with. I ended up at an old man's house while he was mowing and quickly realized my GPS had taken me to the wrong spot. I used Zach Ziler's coordinates and they are dead on the money but the problem was that the road that leads to it is not registered in most GPS units so it takes you to the wrong place. Luckily I had printed out the topo and was able to locate it that way. Jen York's review has a pretty good description as to how to find it and you will probably need a map as well.

Hiked this trail again just a little over a year later and we finally caught the falls during high water! Last year Tea Kettle Falls was bone dry, but the creek was full and the falls were amazing this time...actually, even besides the other larger waterfall along the trail called Reynolds Falls, there were little falls and cascades everywhere! It was an amazing hike even though we got totally soaked. That's the only bad part about the creek being high. You do have to cross a few times no matter what, but you can easily manage to stay dry when its low. No chance of that when its high lol.

I followed Jen York's directions finding it........ they were RIGHT ON. I had searched for this trail before, and was finally succesful today after printing out her directions and following them.
Wear shoes you don't mind getting wet and when the trail hits the creek, just follow the creek. DO NOT follow the ATV trail that crosses the creek about halfway through, it is NOT part of the hike. Follow the creek.
Teakettle wasn't running today, but the bluff formation is beautiful and worth the hike. And Reynolds Falls was running and gorgeous.
This was a great hike, and I'm thinking it's a great one to do in the fall/winter when the leaves are gone so that you can see the bluffs and everything.

Finding this place was a challenge even with researching before hand. To clarify, the road you need is off highway 23 exactly 6.5 miles north of forum and 1.4 miles south exactly from highway 12. It's on the right going north and on the left if you're going south (east). There is an UNMARKED gravel road and a shed next to it so it almost looks like a driveway. It's not. As soon as you turn in, the sign is on the left. This is the right road. Forget what someone else said about the sign being wrong. They were wrong. You will see a pasture on the right and woods on left at first. Eventually, you go downhill pretty steeply and the parking is the grass area to right at the bottom. You will see the creek in front and it's 1.3-1.4 miles after turning off highway 23.

The trail head is at the back middle of this field opposite way of the road. Literally in the middle back. It's not marked. Walk through the field to get there. It's rough and quite overgrown. I actually walked the creek once the trail got to it. Water is so clear and gorgeous! I honestly could not see a trail really hence water shoes and temps above 60 are almost necessary. Better than bushwhacking anyway. Without water. This trail would really not be worth the trip. Even after 11 inches of rain, the highest it got on me was to my knees. Reynolds falls was flowing very well. It's off to the left on the way in about half way.

The actual kettle falls was not running after all this heavy rain. Still a neat formation and hollow. I passed it! You will pass 30-40 foot bluffs on the left with the creek running next to them. The hollow is to the left after these shortly.

Very badly overgrown. Stinging nettle are all over the trail. Still had a blast but it appears it is not being maintained.

Finding Tea Kettle Falls is certainly the greatest challenge of this hike and without a GPS and a topo, I doubt I would have. I found it though and here's how you can too:

First of all, don't follow the AllTrails directions. If you do you'll dead end on Madison County 1000 where some nice old man will greet you and say, "Folks keep ending up out here, but Tea Kettle Falls ain't this way." To avoid bothering this nice man, turn right off 23 on to 12 and travel 1.3 miles, then turn left into the McIlroy Madison County Wildlife Management Area. Careful, it's easy to overlook! Continue on for just over a mile and park in the grassy hollow at the bottom of the hill alongside Warm Fork Creek. Follow the creek down stream for about a mile to find Tea Kettle Falls.

The trail is not marked or well established, it's little more than a deer path in spots, and you'll have to hop the creek several times, but it's well worth the effort it takes to get there. Enjoy!

Spent an hour and a half trying to find this trail yesterday and still did not make it. To make everyone's life easier in the future (including myself) the coordinates of the trailhead are 36°16'15.2"N 93°43'55.3"W approximately. Trust me, you will thank me later.