Sugar Loaf Mountain Nature Trail

Sugar Loaf Mountain Nature Trail is a 2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Higden, AR that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and canoeing and is accessible year-round.

2.0 miles Loop

Directions from Herber Springs: This trail is located on an island in Greers Ferry Lake. It is accessible by boat from State 327 at Sugarloaf Recreation Area on the south and Ark. 330 at Van Buren Recreation Area on the north.

Great hike for beginners. Involves some climbing but worth the view.

Cool little trail. If Coming from the Marina, the dock is on the other side of the island. You'll understand what I mean by that if you make the same mistake I did! Lol

Great, amazing view once you make it to the top. Something worth trying.

This was a great kayak and hike. make sure you go all the way to the top and follow the trail all the way to the other end of the mountain to get two great views. It's not an easy trail!

I love hiking sugarloaf, it's one of those childhood things that has followed me into adulthood! I would however like to point out that there are two sugarloaf mountains in heber and these photos consist of both of them. They are two different mountains! The one with water in the background is out in the middle of the lake and the one that it shows the crack of is on land. So don't get confused when you get to the top and it looks completely different, lol! Both are exceptional hikes for all ages!

This trail actually consists of two trails, the Mule Trail and the Terrace Trail that meet up. We hiked both trails this time, and this was our second time to do the Mule Trail. Spring is a pretty time to go, but the top of the mountain seems to stay lush in the summer as well. We went on a wet day, but missed the rain while there.

The Mule Trail is a very steep, strenuous trail to the top of Sugar Loaf Mountain (which is on an island). It leads up steep staircases built next to the rock to great views of Greers Ferry Lake/Fairfield Bay. The trail goes across the plateau on top to the far end for more views, then you double back.

The Terrace Trail circles around midway up the mountain. It goes through the forest with not much view of the water, but the mossy green rocks and clear forest floor make it a lovely hike. This part is easy-moderate with the trail being pretty level the entire way around.

To get to the island, you need to either have your own boat or take a shuttle boat from Fairfield Bay Marina (a little pricey unless you have a group).

Wow - such beautiful views of the lake and such a unique setting! You can only get to it by boat - I paddled my kayak from the closest boat launch on the lake to Sugar Loaf Mountain and hiked to the top. Well-maintained trail makes for an easy hike aside from the fairly steep climb on the way up. There are a few benches along the way for those wanting a break. The vistas atop the summit bluffs are just amazing. This is one I will want to do again for sure.

As a college student, my friends and I make a regular habit of visiting the The top of Sugarloaf to sit talk and watch the sun rise. It is a beautiful place that is close to my heart and definitely worth a visit.Be careful taking young ones up there it can be quite dangerous if you are not paying attention

there is a crevice We used last summer to reach the top, but has since washed in. We still enjoy the hike, and the hidden pond. great family excursion. excellent view from top

Well I'm confused as to these reviews bc sugarloaf is not Located in an Island in the lake. it's Located behind the asu general campus. it's a great little hike easy for all ages. I took my 4 and 7 year old yesterday. they went as far as the base of the bluffs. last summer there was a crevice We used to r

Incredible lake views from this island trail. Must have a boat to get to trailhead. Prepare for a hike. Do not go in swimsuit and flip flops. This is a fairly serious hike but is worth the effort. There is a small dock at the trailhead.

Fun hike, great lake views. Must boat over to trail head. Lots of flora and fauna along the way. Be sure to take water and good shoes, not just wear your bathing suit and flip flops like we did!