Sam's Throne Trail

Sam's Throne Trail is a 2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Mt Judea, AR that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

The Sam's Throne loop trail follows the ridge line from Sam's overlook back east to an old road, down the bluff to the bottom below, around Sam's throne overlook back to the north before ascending the bluff back to the trailhead.

rock climbing

Truly one of Arkansas's most special places!!! Lots of Climbing and hiking. Dog friendly!!!

Beautiful views from several vistas as you hike your way around the top of the mountain. Perfect for fall color photography!

We hiked several trails in this area over two days & this was our favorite. On a mountain top with the best vistas!

We took the dog trail over to Sam's Throne and then climbed up the Catacombs chimney on the way back. It was a great hike.

Great trail with some moderate level climbing depending on the path you take. Breathtaking views only a short distance from camp.

rock climbing

Backpacked in and did quite a bit of rock climbing. One of my favorite spots with beautiful views!

rock climbing

Climbed here twice, bouldering and free solo. Awesome place with great scenery!

Have done this several times. Easy hike with incredible scenic views.

Very beautiful overlook. The trailhead is at the end of the Sam's Throne campground. There are 3 trails at the trailhead and they all lead to the overlook. (not sure why there are 3 paths). Exact GPS to trailhead is 35.87519, 93.04729

rock climbing

I've climbed here for way more than 20 years. I love this place !

Enjoyed climbing up to Sam's Throne through the crack in the back. This is another one of those trails best visited during the cooler months. While in the area visit the Cave Creek Bluffs on the east side of AR 123 just a couple of miles before Sam's throne.

Nice short trail! I am going to come back with climbing gear! Also I found a persons axe on the trail, it seems to be well loved and stickers I found it on den 22 of 2014, if it is yours please contact me with photo proof or be able to describe it and I will do my best to give it too it's owner. Email me at krismiljan@hotmail.com if it's your axe.

rock climbing

Very cool trail. I recommend starting the trail right after you come in the first gates. can see all views and there are a lot of rock climbing spots. definitely going back and rock climb!

The slow drive up the hairpin turns of Mt. Judea to Sam's Throne serves as the perfect prelude to the gorgeous hike that follows. The app indicates you've arrive half-way up, but I continued to the top where the campground trailhead can be found. Sam's Throne is picture perfect, with conifer lined craggy bluffs and well established trails all carpeted with fragrant needles. The views of the valley below are too numerous to mention, each better than the next. As a destination for Rock climbers, Mt. Judea is the perfect park for hikers as the only evidence I found of them were the ropes that held the adventures dangling below leaving the all trails open to me. In short, Mt. Judea is a must!

rock climbing

This is a great place to climb, hike, and camp. We go here almost every weekend. Since the access find took over its more deserted. There are so many trails to walk and routes to climb. You can stop at the general store and buy the book with al climbes there and surrounding area. It's the best place. Dogs and kids love to play here. Beautiful views and can see the meteor shows whole sitting on the point.

The trail follows the ridge, then decends to the valley floor. Several nice backpack camping sites. nice rock formations. Nice view of Sam's throne from below.