Rookery Trail

Rookery Trail is a 2.7 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Fayetteville, Arkansas that features a lake. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, walking, and fishing. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

2.7 miles 137 feet Point to Point

Fun and easy trail

I had absolutely no trouble finding my way on this trail. There are frequent blazes (some old, some newer and bluer), and where there aren't blazes, there's blue tape tied to or hanging from the trees. Some helpful soul has also tied strips of cloth to the trees in the trickier parts. The path through the pasture is clear, it looks like someone comes in with a lawn mower and keeps it visible. Easy peasy.

This is a lovely flat and easy trail which follows the lake edge. The rock wall is amazing - it goes on and on and on. The process of building it, particularly in the middle of the woods, must have been back-breaking. You can follow it for pretty much as long as you want, and turn around any time.

We did not see any signs of the old rookery, and we wandered in the woods quite a ways. The blazes and tape keep going, though we lost them eventually and turned back.

What might deter you from this trail are the cows. Part of this is clearly their regular stomping ground, and the deep mud and cow piles (also deep!) are there to prove it. Don't go after it's been raining (my mistake) if you'd like to stay tidy. The actual cows were curious about us, but not aggressive. They'd moved on entirely when we came back through the pasture.

pretty area, picturesque, but I lost trail in the pasture about half a mile in. all in all a great evening, but I'm a little wary of running through open range...

Enjoyed my day on Rookery, but lost the trail about half way through in the field after the small creek. The blue markers on the trees were adequate prior to this. This caused me to trek into some other fields bordering the water, and witnessed some beautiful wildlife, mushrooms, and flowers. Wished I could have completed it, but still a great day with my dog.

Well maintained beautiful trail. I loved the pasture bits even though it made a bit difficult to keep to the markers. Ended up turning back after getting turned around so we didn't quite make it to the end. Peaceful, pretty private, we all liked it.

The trail was nice and peaceful the day that I went, but the leaves combined with minimal trail markers meant that i spent more time wandering through pasture trying to find the trail again than I did actually on it. There are lots of cow paths that crisscross the trail and make it tricky. The second half was better, but even harder to follow until you get to the rock wall.
Very basic trail, but in 2+ hours I only saw one other group, a couple and their dogs, which is very rare on a beautiful weekend. I'll be back, and hopefully I'll be able to do a better job staying on the trail.

The trail was hard to follow at times and didn't see much that impressed me.

Went out there today. There are more and larger trail markers and I went further, but I still lost my way after the before reaching the stone wall. I'm determined to finish the whole trail some day.

Hard to follow at times. It was so muddy we could not finish it. Nice bridges to get over the little creeks.

after the trail ended with no warning we were shot at on the way back by a house close by. we called the lake management and they wouldn't do anything and also had us call the cops we are currently having to wait for the police before we can go home after being on this tick filled trail since 2. horrible and I won't recommend this trail.

Echo everyone's comments before mine that the trail markings can be very difficult to track at times. Be patient as you walk through the open fields and once you get to the ridgeline you will be glad you did. Really enjoyed this trail, from the overlooks of the lake to the obstacles (mud, downed trees, unique gates) and awesome rock wall formation that stretches on for an extremely long time. Looking forward to checking out nearby Kingfisher Trail across the street in the near future!

Live just across the lake and didnt know it was here. Found trail while geocaching. Nice hike close to the lake but is hard to follow the trail at times.

This out and back trail gets very hard to follow at times . Very interesting trail though , has a couple of open fields (which someones cattle was in ) and the last part of the trial has a long ,waist high rock wall. which was probably a land marker or border . At the end there is supposed to be a heron rookery,couldn't find it though.