Little Blakely Trail System

Little Blakely Trail System is a 17.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Mountain Pine, AR that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, birding, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round.

17.6 miles Loop

This is not a very difficult trail. It offers some great views of Lake Ouachita. The trail is fairly well maintained and following the trails are easy enough. It is a popular mountain biking system so hikers beware. The trail itself is a five loop system that offers views of the lake and forest.

Don't go unless you feel like getting lost for hours. It started off good, until we lost the trail. We eventually just went up stream and found loop "L". Then we were able to find our car from there. It was horrible experience, that left us dehydrated and exhausted. We walked 12 plus more miles than we planned.

This is a great trail system not too far from Little Rock that offers some pretty good backpacking. Its a series of loops so you can customize how far or short you'd like to hike, and you'll never be more than a few miles from the car if for whatever reason you need to turn back. Its not used very heavily, (we were out threre for two days and didn't see anyone except for boaters on the lake). The down side is, you really don't see the lake unless you want to bushwack for half a mile off trail, the hills leading to the lake are so steep its near impossible to set up camp unless using hammocks, and the trails aren't very well marked or maintained once you get off the "trail on old road."

Went on all of the loops beautiful.One of my favorites

Overall it was a nice trail. Unfortunately we picked the weekend that ended up being extreme heat advisory hundred plus temperatures the whole weekend. But we still had a great time at the lake offers some cooling relief. The trail however definitely needs some work.

Started out great. The trail is sometimes hard to follow. Tons of overgrow, the path would disappear. (We got lost for about 3 hrs) nonetheless hiking and Camping here is fantastic.Not much traffic at all. (had the place to ourselves)

They've done a lot of work on the trail and are doing a lot of work on the trail (or at least were). I revisited the trail in March of this year and walked the Rocky Ridge, Glades and Morgan Hollow loops and it was amazing. Perfect weather, camped on the Morgan Hollow loop and hiked out the next day. Definitely a much better trip than in November in the Fall when the trail was covered in leaf litter and over grown.

The whole system needs to be reblazed and defined. I planned on hiking all outer loops (but didn't have time to do the Rocky Ridge loop) and ended up getting off trail on every loop except the Glades loop. The grass there was way overgrown 5 and 6 feet tall there but I could see the path. I got off trail on the Morgan Hollow loop about 4 times. On the South Loop I got off trail a couple times, most frustratingly I couldn't find the path from Junction B to A and ended up hiking up the hill and sliding down to the right and ended up on the path but where was it at Junction B? I'll have to backtrack next time to find the path. I had a great 2 day hike (15.5 miles) but for a completely new hiker I almost bit off more than I could chew. I'll try it again maybe in the Spring or Winter. Maybe focus on one or two loops.

Some parts of the trail are great. They are wide and easy to follow with blazes very frequent. Other parts are not well blazed, and very over-grown. The southern side of the Glades Loop has 5 blazes total, and the grass was over 5 feet tall. The trail was nearly impossible to see most of the time while on the southern half of the Glades Loop. The South Loop is marked fairly well in most areas, but dilapidated and very over-grown in some parts, and needs to be re-blazed.