Kingfisher Trail

Kingfisher Trail is a 2.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Fayetteville, Arkansas that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, birding, and horses and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

About three miles out and back, complete with picnic area where you would not expect to find one. Primarily a hiking trail but Horses are allowed as well. The Scouts did a great job when they made this trail. Take specific note of the bridge made from logs and be glad you did not have to help carry them. Only one real place for lake access, it is just after the trail swings left and no longer parallels the road.

Wonderful trail in any season.

a little over grown, but nice and feels remote. on 9/12/16 I was out and smelled a bear and there was an enormous bear poop in the middle of trail. just a heads up!!!

Boo

We hiked this trail last week. It was a bit slow going in that it was just a path along the road but once we got into it it was a nice hike. When we got to the end it wasn't marked well as to where to go but we found our way back. lol Nice hike though.

Great hike for fall/winter. I would be a little concerned about snakes in the summer. Trail seems like it could potentially be overgrown and is somewhat close to the water. Otherwise, great hike, easy to find, there was even a place to stop for a picnic.

Easy little hike. Well maintained.

Went at sunset. Some really pretty fields and some nice views of the lake in the first 5 or 10 minutes of the hike

Trail started out pretty wide but was filled with lots of spider webs. I don't think many people have been on this recently. It then narrowed significantly to the point where there was a bend and the trail could not be seen! We just guessed and headed left,up a hill and then found a blue blaze. Once up in elevation the trail was clean. Came across a box turtle in the middle of the trail and also near the end, saw a doe and her fawn side by side. The rail goes close by the backyard of a blue house, then stops abruptly just past in a densely wooded area. No further blazes to be found and the blazes are not on the trees in the opposite direction. So just forged our own trail down the slope back to the ridge where we figured we would connect back to the trail and we did.

This trail started out okay but was extremely overgrown after the first half mile or so (as of May 2015).
I took my dog and 9 year old with me. I picked literally dozens of ticks off the three of us before we got back in the car. I wish we had just turned around right away when the grass and weeds started to overtake the trail but I was hoping it would clear up again... it didn't.

Went horse riding out here with mom & sister and really enjoyed it!

A great trail to take the family out on for a couple hours. Had no problem finding the trailhead. First portion of trail runs along the elevation of the lake so its very green and brush vegetation. About a 1/3rd of the way you'll climb to a higher elevation that pretty much runs the middle of the hill the rest of the hike, and here the scenery transitions to more hardwoods. From here the trail is typical of other Ozark trails, meandering along the top of a line of limestone bluffs. About 1/2 way or is a picnic table, and further on you'll come upon a smashed picnic table. At this point it looks like the trail peters out, but it runs to left, crossing a large open area of exposed black slate. From here the trail heads right in the woods and shortly to the terminus. Having a dog with me, I elected not to go the last 1/10th from the mentions of the 'friendly' lab.

Being native here, I didn't know the lake had the bluffs, so that made it all the more interesting for me. The trail overall is surprising well maintained. Its not long, and its not hard, but was great on a nice breezy spring day.

Pretty easy hike! Climb the twisted tree! The end was kind of confusing.

Yes, the trail seems to peter out after a while, but keep on looking for the blazes on the trees. At the north end of the trail, which parallels the east side of the lake, you can if you're willing, and the weather cooperative, climb down the embankment (about 12-15 feet: a rope, I'm thinking, might come in handy) and then walk over to the dam. You can walk atop the berm and then onto the concrete structure and get a good look at the operation.