Kingfisher Trail

Kingfisher Trail is a 2.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Fayetteville, AR that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, birding, and horses and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

About three miles out and back, complete with picnic area where you would not expect to find one. Primarily a hiking trail but Horses are allowed as well. The Scouts did a great job when they made this trail. Take specific note of the bridge made from logs and be glad you did not have to help carry them. Only one real place for lake access, it is just after the trail swings left and no longer parallels the road.

a little over grown, but nice and feels remote. on 9/12/16 I was out and smelled a bear and there was an enormous bear poop in the middle of trail. just a heads up!!!

Boo

We hiked this trail last week. It was a bit slow going in that it was just a path along the road but once we got into it it was a nice hike. When we got to the end it wasn't marked well as to where to go but we found our way back. lol Nice hike though.

Great hike for fall/winter. I would be a little concerned about snakes in the summer. Trail seems like it could potentially be overgrown and is somewhat close to the water. Otherwise, great hike, easy to find, there was even a place to stop for a picnic.

Easy little hike. Well maintained.

Went at sunset. Some really pretty fields and some nice views of the lake in the first 5 or 10 minutes of the hike

Trail started out pretty wide but was filled with lots of spider webs. I don't think many people have been on this recently. It then narrowed significantly to the point where there was a bend and the trail could not be seen! We just guessed and headed left,up a hill and then found a blue blaze. Once up in elevation the trail was clean. Came across a box turtle in the middle of the trail and also near the end, saw a doe and her fawn side by side. The rail goes close by the backyard of a blue house, then stops abruptly just past in a densely wooded area. No further blazes to be found and the blazes are not on the trees in the opposite direction. So just forged our own trail down the slope back to the ridge where we figured we would connect back to the trail and we did.

This trail started out okay but was extremely overgrown after the first half mile or so (as of May 2015).
I took my dog and 9 year old with me. I picked literally dozens of ticks off the three of us before we got back in the car. I wish we had just turned around right away when the grass and weeds started to overtake the trail but I was hoping it would clear up again... it didn't.

Went horse riding out here with mom & sister and really enjoyed it!

A great trail to take the family out on for a couple hours. Had no problem finding the trailhead. First portion of trail runs along the elevation of the lake so its very green and brush vegetation. About a 1/3rd of the way you'll climb to a higher elevation that pretty much runs the middle of the hill the rest of the hike, and here the scenery transitions to more hardwoods. From here the trail is typical of other Ozark trails, meandering along the top of a line of limestone bluffs. About 1/2 way or is a picnic table, and further on you'll come upon a smashed picnic table. At this point it looks like the trail peters out, but it runs to left, crossing a large open area of exposed black slate. From here the trail heads right in the woods and shortly to the terminus. Having a dog with me, I elected not to go the last 1/10th from the mentions of the 'friendly' lab.

Being native here, I didn't know the lake had the bluffs, so that made it all the more interesting for me. The trail overall is surprising well maintained. Its not long, and its not hard, but was great on a nice breezy spring day.

Pretty easy hike! Climb the twisted tree! The end was kind of confusing.

Yes, the trail seems to peter out after a while, but keep on looking for the blazes on the trees. At the north end of the trail, which parallels the east side of the lake, you can if you're willing, and the weather cooperative, climb down the embankment (about 12-15 feet: a rope, I'm thinking, might come in handy) and then walk over to the dam. You can walk atop the berm and then onto the concrete structure and get a good look at the operation.

This trail is mediocre. It abruptly ends as well and causes confusion. We ended up in someone's back yard and the nice children didn't know anything about the trial and their dog hated my partner and I. You will know it's done when you see a large opening in the trees to the left where old trees and such have been dumped in a large pile. The best part was OFF the trail. On the way back, we shimmied down a clearer spot to see the dam. Couldn't get out to it, but we found and followed some little bluffs not visible from up on the trail. Found a bat even! My tip is to drive to the other side and walk across the concrete dam when it's not overflowing. It's not deep. It looked very beautiful and haunting to look into this way. And the big dam is at the end of it! Best part of lake Sequoyah!

The trail head is very hard to find, it is hidden by trees. We had to circle back a couple of times to find it.
This trail starts off really well. Nice and shaded, wide trail with plenty of room to walk next to someone if you want. It looked like it had recently been cleared. Then we got about a quarter of a mile in and the trail became impassable. Weeds had overtaken everything and the trail was hard to find. We had our dog with us and since we did not want to be pulling ticks off of her all night long, we turned around and headed back out. As we came back out a car stopped me and asked where the trail head for this trail was and I advised him to try Rookery Trail (which we were going to try instead) as this one was so overgrown you couldn't get down it.

Very nice hike. Don't let the overgrown weeds near the start run you off. They clear up pretty quick.

April wildflowers galore! The incomplete list of what we saw today: trout lily, bloodroot, may apples, dogwood, redbud, spring beauties, violets... Even a tiny cactus.
The hike quickly follows and crosses a rich ravine full of beauty. The rest of the trail is pretty standard oak/shale but with great peeks at the lake and several creek bed crossings. We've had a pretty wet spring but all were crossable without getting our shoes wet. Right after a rain would be a different story. Blazes well marked the trail except the very end of the loop. After passing the large blues house (and "friendly" Labrador) the trail heads back toward the lake to reconnect with the rest of the trail. I could not find the blazes at all for this little bit. No worries. Head down the hill toward the lake and go left to follow the trail back to the trail head.

Not too difficult. Not too easy. Just right. Me and my dog really enjoyed the rocky obstacles along the way. Great view of the lake. The end of the trail is a bit confusing though....find out what I mean by checking out Kingfisher for yourself!

Excellent trail for a fun afternoon, originally blazed by Boy Scouts to be enjoyed by all. Two box turtles in one trip, what a deal. Makes a great Nature trail or Birdwatching trip. Recommended!