Historic Van Winkle Trail

Historic Van Winkle Trail is a 0.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Rogers, AR that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

0.8 miles Loop

wheelchair friendly

The trail head parking lot, with restrooms, is located approximately 10 miles east of Rogers, AR, US Hwy 12. Walkers and hikers can access historic area via tunnel under Hwy 12. Interpretive sign panels describe the historic home and mill sites of the Peter Van Winkle family during the Civil War. Interpretive sign panels describe the historic home and mill sites of the Peter Van Winkle family during and after the Civil War. Also, there is a beautiful stream, spring and raised garden site. Only some rock foundation stones remain of buildings. ***The trail is ADA accessible with some assistance. Trail starts out concrete and becomes packed gravel.***

In the past, I'd been many times. Earthen trail, except for the area that leads under the roadway, for easy on the body walking. Beautiful all year round.

not much there, we went during the fall fest

Easy and peaceful

Easy and short

another great day trip for my kids and me

Very nice trail, family friendly. Beautiful area.

Very easy walk and interesting history. The lake is currently at 1,127' and comes all the way up to the Van Winkle Mill site. Be sure to take a leisurely hike on the Sinking Stream Trail while you are there.

Super trail, well marked, with benches. Descriptive signs with historical photos and information made the adventure fun for everyone

Trail was very easy, granddaughter really enjoyed it.

I first saw this trail featured on the popular AETN TV show "Exploring Arkansas." An event was listed, on the Arkansas State Parks website for Hobbs State Park, about a group tour with a park interpreter so I went for it. The park interpreter made this historical hike much more interesting. I want to go back again, with my camera, to catch the Sinking Stream Trail (like Stephanie said is at the same parking lot) on my next visit to Hobbs State Park.

This trail is not very interesting unless you like history. BUT! Keep going on your own toward the lake if it's low. Stay on the right when you can. You can see pretty rock bluffs, a little cave, and the lake this way. A good winter hike.

Very easy and shaded trail with informational plaques along the way.

Very easy hike that had tons of information. I loved all the plaques explaining the history and seeing all the historical sites. The dogs loved splashing in the creeks and we loved the lake view. It was nice that sinking stream trail is in the same parking lot so its like a 2 for 1 and both trails are short and easy enough to do two in one day. Beautiful area!!!

Educational and extremely easy hike...our youngest about stepped on a snake while here so keep an eye out (it slithered across the trail).

Didn't expect to see a neat part of beaver lake at the end of the trail.
This trail is for learning about the past and history of this area. Don't expect anything more that a brisk and easy hike.

My kids and I really enjoyed this trail. What an absolutely gorgeous area! We saw tons of butterflies and played in the creek area for a few hours. We went early morning and the sunlight in this area was amazing. I blogged about our hike here: http://www.adventuresintheozarks.com/2013/09/historic-van-winkle-trail-at-hobbs.html

I agree with Scott. It is not really a hike. It is a nice place to learn some history about the area though.

Not sure I'd call this a hike but it is a nice place to walk. Very easy tail. If you get there early it is a nice place to view wild life. Take a picnic lunch and just enjoy. If you are in the hollow you can let your kids run around see them from the middle almost anywhere they go.