Hemmed in Hollow Trail

Hemmed in Hollow Trail is a 5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Compton, AR that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Gravel parking lot at the trail head.

This is 2.5 miles straight down, and 2.5 straight up. Very taxing on the way out, but you get great views of the bluff line along the way. I would go after heavy rainfall so that the falls are even more impressive. The falls are a great place to hang out for a bit. Beautiful scenery.

Difficult hike ... I think moderate is an understatement. That being said it is definitely worth it. Beautiful is also an understatement!

This is a great hike. Easy down, difficult back out. Well worth the hike to the falls. This place is beautiful when the water is flowing. I have hiked in, rode horses in, and hiked to the falls from the river via canoe. Beautiful area!

Beautiful trail, but it is tough.

It was a beautiful hike. I believe that it is a little underrated make sure you bring a lot of water. I would not consider this really kid friendly unless you are taking kids used to a lot of elevation change.

Hiked this trail for the first time a few weeks ago. The first half was great, all downhill and some beautiful sights along the way. The waterfall was mostly dry when I went but it was still incredible. The hike up on the other hand was tougher than expected. It was challenging but exactly what I needed. Definitely take a lot of water for this hike!

Fantastic, but be ready to hike!

Amazing, but be ready to hike!

Great short day hike. Waterfall was dry but still plenty of beauty to take In

Hiked this trail a month ago. Will definitely return for a second round.

This was a great trail. I have done several when I was younger while camping in Texas. I was not in shape for this one. This was the longest one I've ever done. and the hike back up was hard. It took us about 5 hours to get down there and back up from the trailhead.
Unfortunately it hadn't rained much lately, so all the streams and falls were dry. The main fall was just a trickle. I've heard the best way to see the falls is to come in from the river though. It's only about a half mile from the river. Next time we will do it like that.

The scenes were beautiful and the falls were great. The 2.5 miles to the fall is great, all downhill, however the 2.5 miles back is all uphill. Me and 4 other D1 athletes took the trail and struggled a lot on the way back up! My Fitbit said I climbed 200+ floors of stairs. Good hike but difficult on a hot day.

Beautiful waterfall and easy trail in from the river!

Breathtaking hike! Definitely worth the effort it takes to hike out.

very long out and back. all uphill on way out, but the waterfall and the scenery was stunning.

The 1st half of the hike is pretty easy going, descending about 400 feet over a mile+, but the 2nd half you drop down another 1000 ft over a mile+. It's definitely an athletic hike, but we saw families and couples of ALL ages making the trip. Will definitely do this again and use it as a great source of exercise. *If you have bad knees, this may not be a good hike for you.

Next time we'll go earlier in the day so we have more time to spend down at the waterfall. We'll probably pack a lunch, bring some hammocks and clothes for getting wet.

We went 3 days after rain and it was still flowing pretty well.

easy going down from Trailhead but the hike back up requires some energy! I like to pack light and bring water and snacks!:) leave the stuff you don't need at home!

On the way down the first part of the trail is somewhat flat but soon heads down many natural steps! the trail has long switchbacks in parts along with many natural places to stop and rest.

go anytime after heavy rain!

There's actually more waterfalls on this hike just before reaching the main waterfall at Hemmed In hollow, there's another couple waterfalls if you take the trail to the left once at the bottom of the trail.

you can walk right up to the falls and even behind them but be warned the rocks are very slippery!

there's a trail that come up to the hollow from the Buffalo river but trails not marked down there and unless you know your way around these parts its best to hike from the trailhead from up top.

Hemmed has the biggest natural waterfall in the state of Arkansas.

PLEASE DO NOT LEAVE ANY TRASH!

IF YOU PACK IT IN, YOU PACK IT OUT!!

BE SAFE AND ENJOY!!!