Fossil Flats Trail

Fossil Flats Trail is a 6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near West Fork, AR that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

cave

Devil's Den State Park is a 3 to 5 mile loop trail located near Winslow, Arkansas. The trail is primarily used for mountain biking. The flat exposed rock in the creek bed lends this trail its name. Many fossils are visible in the exposed creek bed. The flat exposed rock in the creek bed gives this trail its name. Fossils are found in the creek bed. The trail offers views of the creek and typical Ozark rock formations. You have a choice of a 3, 4, or 5 mile route. The route requires more skill level the longer it gets. There are a total of 11 more trails at the park for horseback riding and hiking.

Very unwell marked for runners- bring a map! It's pleasant along the river though.

Excellent little mountain bike trail. Lots of rocks, adds to the technical aspects.

This is currently my favorite Devils Den trail for running. The second half alongside Lee Creek is my favorite section... the creek being up made for a very frigid and refreshing barefoot water crossing after 5+ miles.

For biking, I did not like the huge loose rocks. This is a great hike/bike when the water is up! I almost wrecked just because I could not stop gazing at the beautiful blue river running along a good part of the trail during a late winter ride. Good place to hike in when water is up and warm And just have a picnic and swim.

This trail is really nice, there are two options on the trail to make it shorter than the approximate 5 miles if desired. I completed the entire trail including the outlaw loop and had no issues. There was only one steep incline and decline. There were however a couple spots on the trail that were briefly a challenge due to fallen trees, at one point the trail seemed to stop beneath a large rock formation, the trail picked back up on the other side of the rock so after some climbing I figured it out. There were two other areas where fallen trees were completely covering the trail, but it was obvious that the trees weren't usually there. I became confused at one point near the hike-in camping area, the trail isn't marked well at this point unless you are looking for the outlaw loop or the butterfield hiking trail.

Overall it was a pleasant trail

just got done backpacking this trail the whole way up Racers Hill.. 2-19-14.. the scenery was amazing and the creek was running good.. we took our time at it and it did in 3 1/2 hr stopping several times including lunch.. Would recomend this trail to anyone that can handle the 5 miles and the steep incline...

A really good, well-marked loop. And it is a loop. There's a switchback right before the bridge; if you continue across the bridge to Sawmill, you'll miss the back half of Fossil Flats. So, sharp right just before the bridge will take you along Lee Creek for a bit before the trail connects back into itself.

By far, my favorite trail of the season. No more elaboration is necessary. Check it out for yourself soon!

Great trail if you don't want to pack much water in with you and you have a filter. It's along water the entire way.

Nice hike!! You have to make sure to go down to the creek a few times during the hike!!

We hiked this trail in Devil's Den State Park on another perfect day on February 2, 2013. It was in the 30's when we started and ended up in the upper 40's when we finished. It was a calm day with a lot of sunshine. We did miss a turn at the end of the trail and walked an extra .3 of a mile. Oh well, it was worth it! I am happy, happy, happy when I am out in the woods hiking! The trail was in good shape and I moved a few limbs and branches that had fallen across the trail to help the next guy. I would recommend this trail. It has a few nice views of the river. Only saw 2-3 people all day. That was nice!

Nice trail.

Simply a great trail-I have a yearly hike here on April 20-one of the better overlooked trails in the area!!!

Very pretty. Especially in winter when you see the creek while riding. But too many large loose rocks. I can't stay on my bike going over these (bouncing). I really have no desire to do this one again for a long time riding. Maybe hiking though.

Round Two, took the trail on with my brother riding jamis 29ers awesome down hill sections. Extremely rocky. Lots of roots. Lots of climbs.

Walked this trail 2 weeks ago. It was much better than riding it for me. Should have brought creek shoes as the creek was up. great walk.

New to mountain biking, but this trail was fun. lots of rocks on it. bounced my chain off a few times and had to really brake a lot. had never been down this trail before. got lost a couple of times, but no big deal.

Awesome trail busted my rear derailer on my bike. Took extra supplies for an in case of emergency moment. It took around 1 hr and 15 min to walk out lots of steep trails may be a little dangerous for single riders and younger riders. Going to ride I would suggest taking the trails in pairs at least.